One credit COVID-19 class for UConn students

0
0
exc-5e8d09fddcdd4d1033483e4d

The University of Connecticut is adding a COVID-19 one-credit course for the fall semester. It will be available to any undergraduate, Ratcliffe Hicks or PharmD student.  Photo courtesy of Pexels

The University of Connecticut is adding a COVID-19 one-credit course for the fall semester. It will be available to any undergraduate, Ratcliffe Hicks or PharmD student. Photo courtesy of Pexels

The University of Connecticut has launched a one-credit multidisciplinary course titled The COVID-19 Pandemic: Impacts on Health, Business, and Society in response to COVID-19.

The course is available to all undergraduate, Ratcliffe Hicks and PharmD students, according to the Office of Undergraduate Advising. The class will run from Monday, April 6 to Friday, May 1, and is expected to require a 3-4 hour commitment on a weekly basis.

According to Undergraduate Advising, the course will serve to convey the “science behind COVID-19, how to recognize stress and adopt coping mechanisms and gain insight into the business and financial implications of the pandemic.”

Nico Matejak, a fourth-semester Molecular and Cell Biology major, chose to enroll in the course to learn about how Connecticut will be affected in the months to come from the pandemic. 

>
I expect it to be a valuable learning experience for me as well as my fellow students. I think it’s best to put our best foot forward and learn as much as we possibly can.
— Stelio Mysirlidis

“This stuff applies to my major, it really interests me,” Matejak said, “But I really am worried more than I am interested. I think it’s a good move by the university to try to encourage people to stay informed on the subject.” 

Second-semester biology major Stelio Mysirlidis said he chose to take the course because he wanted to know more about what was causing such havoc on the society around him. 

“I expect it to be a valuable learning experience for me as well as my fellow students,” Mysirlidis said, “I think it’s best to put our best foot forward and learn as much as we possibly can.” 

This experience will include three graded modules as well as “multiple” ungraded self-check quizzes, according to the course syllabus. All students will complete this course on a pass/fail basis. 

Critics of the course include fourth semester biology major Theodore Criscuolo, who said that the right time for a COVID-19 course would have been in future semesters, once the United States has a better handle on the virus. 

“Right now the University should be offering totally free and accessible information and support for students outside of a classroom setting,” Criscuolo said.

Related Content:

University Senate discusses response to University closure

Full-Time Online: Students share their thoughts and experiences with online coursework

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu