Student employees of dining services to be paid for normal hours prior to April 6

0
0
exc-5e8d0757fb0f9268c15df940

Student workers for UConn dining services will receive full pay for the hours they normally would have worked up to April 6.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

Student workers for UConn dining services will receive full pay for the hours they normally would have worked up to April 6. File Photo/The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut student employees of dining services will be receiving payment on April 10 and 24 for what would have been their typical work schedule during the two weeks following spring break.

In accordance with an update from UConn issued on April 1, students who were previously employed through dining services on campus will be receiving their typical payroll in an attempt to help alleviate potential financial hardships.

As we have faced the COVID-19 crisis, we have been guided first and foremost by the need to protect the health of our students, faculty and staff, and also by the desire to avoid creating undue financial hardship for students,” as stated in the April 1 update.

Dennis Pierce, executive director of dining services, confirmed that this update will apply to student workers of dining services as well. Dining services student workers can expect to see payment on both April 10 and April 24 for their work hours.

“The dates for employment of dining service student employees are exactly what the university captured in their response,” Pierce said. “After processing the payroll for those dates, the dates … mentioned are when the checks/direct deposits will be issued.”

This means that student employees of dining services will be receiving payment in line with what would have been their typical work schedule.

“Following the direction from the University, we are paying students that are sitting home starting the 22 and going to April 5 because, as you can see by their announcement … student employment will continue their regular payroll as of the 6,” Pierce said.

>
In addition, we are asking for pay through finals, since no student workers can receive federal unemployment based on CT law.
— Kylee Dostie

While students appreciate the pay they will be receiving, some have criticized dining services for the lack of communication. Kylee Dostie, an eighth-semester political science major, student worker at the Union Street Market and server at The Bistro on Union Street, said she would rather hear from dining services directly.

“While I appreciate Dennis’s newfound commitment to paying dining workers, he has not relayed this information to us or our supervisors directly. I have read the guidance, and it did not state any commitment to paying us who are furloughed at this time,” Dostie said. “If this is true, he should state this to us directly.”

Dostie also feels that students should receive payment from dining services through the end of the semester. She cites a lack of payment by state unemployment as a basis for this need.

“In addition, we are asking for pay through finals, since no student workers can receive federal unemployment based on CT law,” Dostie said.

Related Content:

Dining Beat: Students adjust to new dining regulations amid pandemic

Dining Services student workers start petition for fair pay in response to sudden closure

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.