Your favorite drinks, delivered

0
2

Business owners are getting creative with their sales as liquors laws have loosened up. Your favorite bars and restaurants might now be selling limited alcoholic beverages.  Photo by    Michał Mancewicz    on    Unsplash

Business owners are getting creative with their sales as liquors laws have loosened up. Your favorite bars and restaurants might now be selling limited alcoholic beverages. Photo by Michał Mancewicz on Unsplash

During the pandemic, many local businesses have closed, such as bars, restaurants and small family-owned establishments, like liquor stores. With all these closures, business owners had to get creative with how they could still provide minimal services while maintaining a safe social distance. Since the sale of alcohol is responsible for 20% to 30% of restaurant profits across the country, liquor laws have loosened up across the country. 

According to NBC Connecticut, the Department of Consumer Protection adjusted its rules to allow certain restaurants, with a specific type of liquor license, to sell alcohol as a take-out option. The alcohol must be served in sealed containers as received by the wholesaler, and orders must include food, according to the update from the Department of Consumer Protection.

In Connecticut, some of your favorite bars and restaurants started limited-contact take-out or delivery service of alcoholic beverages, and there are other remote-ordering services and applications that are bringing booze right to your house. Check out the list below to see how to conveniently, and safely, celebrate this Thirsty Thursday from the comfort of your couch. 

Chain restaurants

Your favorite chain restaurants have adjusted their take-out policies to reflect the new liquor delivery policies amid the COVID-19 emergency. Restaurants like Chili’s are now offering popular drinks and deals with their regular to-go menus. 

Chili’s website boasts that they are “now offering to-go beer, wine and margaritas” purchased with food. These changes are only available at participating locations and, as usual, you must be 21 or older to order. 

Delivery services

Amazon Prime Now was one of the first sites to start rolling out rapid alcohol delivery, originally only in London and it’s hometown, Seattle, Washington. But now other apps and delivery services such as goPuff, UberEats, Doordash, Postmates and Grubhub are also hopping on the alcohol delivery trend. These services have different regulations depending on the state or town. GrubHub, for instance, only delivers alcohol in New York State and parts of Illinois.

“Beer must be delivered in connection with a food order in the ratio of no more than two individual servings per entree,” according to the GrubHub website

GoPuff has a specific subsite called “goBooze” to order liquor. With prices comparable to local package stores, a wide variety of brands and plenty of discount codes to go around, this remote service is becoming more and more appealing. 

Most of these services require the buyer to show a valid ID upon delivery or may limit the amount of alcohol purchased. 

Local bars and restaurants 

Many of your favorite local eateries have started allowing for the delivery or pick up of alcohol. While many of these establishments are not allowed to mix or seal their own cocktails, according to Eater.com, they have been finding creative ways around that rule. Ted’s Bar and Restaurant in Storrs, for example, is preparing the classic Bionic Beaver to go, according to their social media. When you order a Beaver to take out, the bar includes their classic colored mix of fruit juices and syrups along with the necessary booze in its manufacturer-sealed containers. 

Sayulita, a Mexican restaurant in South Glastonbury, offers their popular margarita mixes for $14 everyday. They also sell a $35 margarita kit that serves up to five people, with tequila included

Grocery store delivery and other retailers

Your local supermarket may even deliver alcohol in select locations. Brands like Stop & Shop are offering the delivery of liquor with their Peapod service. Sites like Wine.com act as a middleman, and allow you to search for the best prices from larger retailers. They’ll even help you find your favorite varieties, as well as local wines, and deliver bottles right to your door. 

During this unprecedented time, businesses are doing their best to stay afloat and people are trying whatever they can to stay sane while social distancing. While these services make drinking in quarantine convenient and help support local businesses, if they’re successful, they might remain in place. Waivers could be extended for liquor license holders and the adjustments made by the Department of Consumer Protection may remain in place even after the pandemic ends. 

Just download the corresponding apps or check online to see if any of these options deliver in your area! And, as always, please drink responsibly. 

Related Content:

4 easy cocktails to ring in the spring

3 Ways to drink the quarantine woes away

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.