In Case You Missed It: What happened this week beyond UConn

0
0
exc-5e8e66d42f908e0d50f51c0b

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., speaks to reporters about coronavirus in Burlington, Vt. Sanders announced today he is ending his campaign for president Wednesday.  Photo by Charles Krupa, File/AP

Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., speaks to reporters about coronavirus in Burlington, Vt. Sanders announced today he is ending his campaign for president Wednesday. Photo by Charles Krupa, File/AP

Bernie Sanders

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders suspended his campaign on Wednesday, clearing the way for Joe Biden to become the Democratic nominee, according to CNN. “I wish I could give you better news, but I think you know the truth, and that is that we are now some 300 delegates behind Vice President Biden, and the path toward victory is virtually impossible,” Sanders said in a livestream with his supporters. Sanders plans to return to his home state of Vermont. His fundraising machine has since been repurposed into a supplier for public health groups amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

WHO Funding

President Trump announced on Tuesday that he is considering halting United States funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), alleging that the organization had been “China-centric” in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to NPR. “They seem to come down on the side of China,” Trump said in a press conference on Tuesday. “‘Don’t close your borders to China,’ they don’t report what’s really going on. They didn’t see it, and yet they were there, they didn’t see what was going on in Wuhan. They didn’t see it. How do you not see it? They didn’t report it. They must have seen it, but they didn’t report it.” In 2019, the United States provided 14.67% of the WHO’s funding. “If you don’t want many more body bags you refrain from politicizing it – please quarantine politicizing COVID,” WHO Director Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu said Wednesday. 

Britain's Chancellor Rishi Sunak, left, and Prime Minister Boris Johnson arrive for a press briefing about the ongoing situation with the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. With British Prime Minister Boris Johnson hospitalized and in intensive care Wednesday , after contracting the new coronavirus, Sunak is among key players in Johnson's Cabinet who will be directing Britain's response to the highly contagious COVID-19 coronavirus, while their leader is being treated.  Photo by Matt Dunham, FILE/AP

Britain’s Chancellor Rishi Sunak, left, and Prime Minister Boris Johnson arrive for a press briefing about the ongoing situation with the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. With British Prime Minister Boris Johnson hospitalized and in intensive care Wednesday , after contracting the new coronavirus, Sunak is among key players in Johnson’s Cabinet who will be directing Britain’s response to the highly contagious COVID-19 coronavirus, while their leader is being treated. Photo by Matt Dunham, FILE/AP

Boris Johnson

United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted into intensive care early this week after contracting COVID-19, according to The Hill. Johnson is technically “not working” while in the hospital but is in contact with his staff, according to a hospital spokesperson. He was admitted on Sunday to St. Thomas’ Hospital in London for severe respiratory symptoms and was moved to the ICU on Monday. “He’s not required any mechanical ventilation or noninvasive respiratory support. He remains in good spirits and in keeping with clinical practice his progress continues to be monitored closely in critical care,” Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who has been performing Johnson’s duties in his absence, said in a conference on Tuesday. 

Wuhan Lockdown

After 76 days of complete shutdown to battle the COVID-19 outbreak, the city of Wuhan, China, the original epicenter of the pandemic, has reopened, according to CNN. “The reopening of Wuhan does not mean the all-clear, neither does it mean a relaxing of epidemic prevention and control measures (within the city),” Luo Ping, an epidemic control official in Wuhan, cautioned earlier this week. Public busses and other forms of transportation have gradually reopened, as have local businesses across the city. To leave their homes, citizens must present a green QR code indicating that they are healthy as well as a letter from their employer. Wuhan has not reported any new local infections in several weeks. 

Discounted Rides

Uber and Stop & Shop have partnered up to offer half-price rides to and from the grocery store for senior shopping hours from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., according to WTNH. The deal will run from now until April 29 and seniors can order up to two trips a week to any Stop & Shop in the United States. Those over 60 or someone on their behalf can enter the promo code STOPSHOPUBER when requesting a ride on the app. 

Related Content:

National News: Pandemic relief bill, 2020 Tokyo Olympics postponed

Taylor Harton is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.