Feel Good Friday: UConn Student Creates Online Cards for Positivity

0
1
exc-5e8faafaf0d65569be751809

Photo courtesy of James Galske on  LinkedIn .

Photo courtesy of James Galske on LinkedIn.

James Galske, a student at the University of Connecticut, recently announced his “kind cards” program, which allows UConn students to send cards with positive messages to their friends.

Galske, a fourth-semester physiology and neurobiology major, stated in a post on the UConn forum on Reddit that his intent is for UConn students to reach out to friends as the school is closed for the year

Students have the ability to select one of five unique card designs, with different Husky mascots. A personalized message may be written in the form, and the card is sent digitally by James.  Image courtesy of James Galske’s    Google Form application   .

Students have the ability to select one of five unique card designs, with different Husky mascots. A personalized message may be written in the form, and the card is sent digitally by James. Image courtesy of James Galske’s Google Form application.

“Whether its stress from classes, worrying about the virus, being stuck at home or for any matter, showing encouragement and appreciation for another person can help someone out a lot,” continued the post, before directing a link to the fill-out form to email kind cards to students.

Galske came up with the idea last year when he was part of the University of Ohio’s neuroscience club. He said a similar initiative was carried out with physical cards for children in hospitals over the winter.

When Galske transferred to UConn, he continued the tradition for local hospitals. 

Kind Cards for UCONN Students from r/UCONN

“Since that fall, I’ve sent cards to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and Nationwide Children’s Hospital for winter holidays, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day,” Galske said.

While Galske has only received a small number of participants, he is grateful for anyone who has contributed. 

“In total there are eight so far where people are sending encouraging and funny messages to their friends. Even though eight is not a massive number, I still feel satisfied even if only one card was sent to a person,” Galske said.

Related Content:

Feel Good Friday: UConn club raises money to help children in foster care celebrate birthdays

Feel Good Friday: Chicks hatching at UConn Extension Center shown in Facebook livestreams

Samuel Katz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at samuel.katz@uconn.edu