UConn students’ housing pick times have been updated 

0
0

Drone shot of South and Alumni Residential Halls.   University of Connecticut Residential Life updated student housing pick times to occur mid-to-late April after being delayed due to UConn’s closure in response to the coronavirus outbreak.  Photo courtesy of Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

Drone shot of South and Alumni Residential Halls. University of Connecticut Residential Life updated student housing pick times to occur mid-to-late April after being delayed due to UConn’s closure in response to the coronavirus outbreak. Photo courtesy of Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

University of Connecticut Residential Life updated student housing pick times to occur mid-to-late April after being delayed due to UConn’s closure in response to the coronavirus outbreak. 

“All students eligible to participate in the housing selection process have received updated selection times,” Kimberly Proulx, the associate director of Housing Services, said. “Honors and LC selections occur this week, April 7-10, and general selection will occur April 13-27.” 

The email from Residential Life was sent April 3 to students eligible for fall semester housing. It gave information about the process, including how housing selection times are organized, how and when to choose a roommate, what to do if a student doesn’t need on-campus housing and where to access new housing pick times. 

Proulx clarified that the selection process, while delayed, will remain the same as it has in prior years. 

“The process remains the same, just with different dates. Times have been generated in the same manner for students and will run during the same timeframes and frequencies that they typically do,” Proulx said. “We postponed the process to allow for students to return home after spring break and get settled into new routines, but otherwise the process remains intact.” 

While spring-semester move-out dates for students with belongings still on campus remain unknown at this time, Proulx said that will not have any effect on housing choices available to students. 

“The spaces available in the selection process are not impacted by spring, as these are spaces that have not yet been assigned for the fall,” Proulx said. 

UConn’s Residential Life does not foresee any issues arising for students trying to choose housing with the delayed pick times. 

“We do not see any issues occurring as a result of the changed dates for the process,” Proulx said. “We maintain the same support for our system from our vendor, and all our staff are working full time to support students remotely just as we would typically in our physical offices.” 

If students do encounter issues or have questions before or during the housing selection process, however, they are encouraged to reach out to Residential Life staff via email for the fastest replies. 

“Our staff are available by email and are responding to inquiries daily. We monitor the livingoncampus@uconn.edu email box on a typical schedule,” Proulx said. “Students can still call our phone number at 860-486-2926 and leave a voicemail message and staff will respond within business hours of the same day or next day.” 

Proulx also described a new feature, called “Tawk,” which will give students even faster information if they have questions during the process. 

“We have also added an online chat feature called “Tawk” to allow for immediate communication if students need assistance or guidance while they participate in the process,” Proulx said.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

Related Content:

UConn ITS offers students free access to Adobe Creative Cloud

UConn Extension continues to answer questions during university closure

Amanda Kilyk is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu