Feel Good Friday: UConn takes part in inaugural National Collegiate Recovery Day

0
3

On April 15, the Association of Recovery in Higher Education (ARHE), of which UConn’s UConn Recovery Community (URC) has been a part of since 2013, held the first annual National Collegiate Recovery Day.

On the ARHE website, the page about the day explains the purpose of the celebration and outlines the association’s goals.

“National Collegiate Recovery Day will be an opportunity to celebrate collegiate recovery across the country, increase awareness about collegiate recovery programs (CRPs), and shine a spotlight on the key staff, students, and other supporters who make this work possible,” said Olivia Pennelle, a writer for the ARHE page.

The date signifies the founding of the ARHE on April 15, 2010 at a Texas Tech University conference that went on to become the first National Collegiate Recovery Conference.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the gatherings planned as a portion of the celebration were cancelled, but there were still many ways to contribute to the cause remotely. 

Participants could post about the celebration online using the #CollegiateRecoveryDay, wear purple to show support for the cause, sign up to attend a virtual Recovery Ally Training session on April 20 or donate $10 to ARHE. The donation goal for the day was $1,000, and this was passed. The current total raised at the time of publication is $1,434.

ARHE is the governing body for the overall Collegiate Recovery Program movement, designed to create a support network for students in recovery from addiction, made up of “professionals, administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents and policy makers,” as their website states.

The UConn Recovery Community is located on the Storrs campus, and offers many opportunities for students in recovery, including a sober residential community started in 2017, for any member with three months of sobriety.

Related Content:

Feel Good Friday: UConn Student Creates Online Cards for Positivity

Feel Good Friday: UConn club raises money to help children in foster care celebrate birthdays

Sam Zelin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sam.zelin@uconn.edu.