Stamford campus to use dorms for recovering COVID-19 patients 

0
0

UConn’s Board of Trustees announced they will be using a Stamford Campus residence hall to house recovering COVID-19 patients. It was a unanimous vote by the board to do so.  Photo courtesy of reslife.uconn.edu

UConn’s Board of Trustees announced they will be using a Stamford Campus residence hall to house recovering COVID-19 patients. It was a unanimous vote by the board to do so. Photo courtesy of reslife.uconn.edu

The University of Connecticut Board of Trustees unanimously voted to sublease a UConn Stamford residence hall to the city of Stamford to house recovering COVID-19 patients.

The residence hall, located at 900 Washington Blvd., is a 116-unit building, according to a UConn Today article.

“Occupants will be people who have been treated and discharged, but still test positive for COVID-19 and need places in which they can recover in isolation without potentially exposing family or others to the illness,” the article said. 

Board of Trustees Chairman Dan Toscano said it is important UConn is able to help the community in times like this.

“Our role in serving the local community is hugely important, and when they come asking for something like this, it’s critical that UConn is able to pivot quickly and be able to help out,” Toscano said. 

The sublease agreement allows the city to operate the residence hall, determine who will live there and absorb any costs incurred by UConn due to the city’s use of the building. Stamford officials will also arrange to have food delivered to recovering patients. 

Fifty of the usual 300 on-campus Stamford students were approved to stay on-campus during this time, and any who were residing at 900 Washington Blvd. have been relocated to different residence halls.

The city of Stamford will now have control of the residence hall and its inhabitants. The 50 current students approved to remain on campus have been relocated.  File Photo/The Daily Campus.

The city of Stamford will now have control of the residence hall and its inhabitants. The 50 current students approved to remain on campus have been relocated. File Photo/The Daily Campus.

“We will never put a student out who does not have a place to go, and that applies to Stamford as well as Storrs,” Eleanor Daugherty, Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Affairs, said. 

In late March, students at the Storrs campus received information from Residential Life that they were preparing to use residence halls if needed in response to COVID-19.

“We are also anticipating that [the] Connecticut state government may also seek to temporarily use space in our residence halls over the next several weeks in response to the crisis,” an email sent to students said. 

Students were also told that if they couldn’t come to retrieve their belongings by March 28, they would be packed up by the university and stored elsewhere. 

Out-of-state students were told in a separate email it was “not advisable or reasonable to ask [them] to travel to campus now to retrieve [their] belongings given [their] distance from campus combined with the current public health situation,” and their belongings were immediately packed and stored for them by the university.

Related Content:

ResLife removes housing options to ensure medical isolation spaces for next semester

CT lawmakers respond to UConn students’ questions and concerns

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl.