Drinking around the world

0
1
exc-5ea0d147e8f1ea398499ba01

Perfect if you’re going stir crazy, have a severe case of the travel bug or if you just want to get drunk

I celebrated Earth Day yesterday the same way most people had to: By admiring the world from inside and reflecting nostalgically on days when we could leave our houses to enjoy all this wonderful planet has to offer. This mostly meant looking at everyone’s Instagram stories of their travels and memories of nature, but I was inspired to get a little crafty. 

I had seen my fair share of people doing “bar crawls” through different rooms of their house, often to celebrate a birthday or just to have a little fun during quarantine. But I realized the same theory could be given an international spin. So for Earth Day, my family and I drank around the world.

Each room in our house was a different destination, and we made different cocktails to correspond to each country. If we had it laying around, we also set up the appropriate decor to really drive home the theme. For some added culture, research some famous architectural sites or museum artwork associated with those locales, as well. 

The first stop on this drinking around the world tour: The Caribbean with a classic Mai Tai cocktail.  Photo courtesy of Tim Nusog via    liquor.com.    Thumbnail photo courtesy of    Kobby Mendez    on    Unsplash   .

The first stop on this drinking around the world tour: The Caribbean with a classic Mai Tai cocktail. Photo courtesy of Tim Nusog via liquor.com. Thumbnail photo courtesy of Kobby Mendez on Unsplash.

The Caribbean – Mai Tai

During quarantine, it feels like we’re all truly living on island time and every hour is happy hour. Since the weather is getting warmer, and many of us had to cancel our spring break trips, transport yourself to a tropical beach with this mai tai recipe. Throw on a lei, repurpose your dashboard hula dancer, pull up a beach background on your laptop or TV and play steel drum music over your speakers to truly set the scene. If you’re really feeling it, throw on a bikini, some sunnies and sandals. Bonus points if you have a coconut bra lying around. 

Ingredients: 

3/4 oz. fresh lime juice 

1/2 oz. orange curaçao

1/4 oz. orgeat liqueur

1/4 oz. simple syrup

2 oz. rum

To make the mai tai, combine all ingredients and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake until combined and pour the contents, including the ice, into a glass. Garnish with a slice of lime, sprig of mint and a cocktail umbrella. Use a blend of light and dark rum for a richer flavor!

Central America – Spicy Margarita

A spicy margarita is the perfect way to get a taste of Central America.  Photo by    tanialee gonzalez    on    Unsplash   .

A spicy margarita is the perfect way to get a taste of Central America. Photo by tanialee gonzalez on Unsplash.

Whether you’ve always wanted to explore Brazil or Argentina, whipping up one of these easy spicy margaritas is much cheaper than the cost of airfare. Skip the jalapeño if you can’t handle the heat. Otherwise, set up a slideshow gallery of some famous ancient Central American ruins like the Sky Palace in Caracol, Belize or Tikal, Guatemala and play some authentic salsa or calypso music to set the mood. If you’re feeling particularly ambitious, whip up some rice, beans and ceviche.

Ingredients: 

3/4 cup tequila 

1/2 jalapeño pepper, plus extra slices for garnish

1/4  cup Cointreau

1/2 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime slices for garnish

1/4 cup simple syrup

To make this margarita, add the sliced jalapeño to the tequila and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Muddle the other half of the pepper. Add jalapeño to taste. While the tequila is infusing, make the simple syrup by combining equal parts sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Now combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pour over ice. Rim the glasses with chili salt and garnish with a slice of lime. If you prefer a frozen margarita, follow the same directions but blitz quickly in a blender before serving. 

Transport yourself to the city of love by making a French 75 cocktail.  Photo courtesy of    liquor.com.

Transport yourself to the city of love by making a French 75 cocktail. Photo courtesy of liquor.com.

Paris, France – French 75

This cocktail is almost synonymous with the city of love. It combines a few simple ingredients to pack a powerful punch. Don your favorite striped shirt and a beret, pull up a photo of the Eiffel Tower at night and set up a cheese platter or some pastries (if you have them) to live your best Parisian life. 

Ingredients: 

1 oz. gin

1 oz. fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz. simple syrup

Sparkling wine

Simply combine the gin, lemon juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Pour into a champagne flute and top with your sparkling wine of choice. Garnish with a lemon rind. 

Venice, Italy – Bellini

Imagine yourself sipping a bellini in Venice, the birthplace of this cocktail.  Photo by    Natalia Ostashova    on    Unsplash   .

Imagine yourself sipping a bellini in Venice, the birthplace of this cocktail. Photo by Natalia Ostashova on Unsplash.

The internet seems to believe the social distancing mandates are helping heal the Earth from human-related climate change, like pollution. But whether the swans have truly returned to Venice or not, it’s still a beautiful city that produced an equally delicious cocktail. Again, Google a picture of the classic canals and gondolas, make your best spaghetti and meatballs and play any Andrea Bocelli to really get in the Italian spirit. 

Ingredients:

2/3 cup white peach puree

1 bottle chilled Prosecco

Add a heaping teaspoon of the peach puree to the bottom of a champagne flute and slowly top the rest of the glass with Prosecco. Serve immediately. If you’re not a fan of peach, substitute any pureed fruit of choice. 

Cap off your international “bar crawl” with a pint of beer to celebrate Ireland.  Photo by    Sam Barber    on    Unsplash   .

Cap off your international “bar crawl” with a pint of beer to celebrate Ireland. Photo by Sam Barber on Unsplash.

Ireland – Beer

As a nation known for its pub crawls, we couldn’t leave Ireland off the list. If you couldn’t make it to Dublin this past St. Patrick’s Day, celebrate again in the comfort of your living room. Dig up the shamrock gear you might’ve stowed away when festivities were cancelled last month. If you have the time and ingredients, prepare a classic Irish stew with beef or lamb, potatoes and cabbage in a slow-cooker. Get a slideshow going of the Cliffs of Moher or Blarney Castle and pour yourself a pint. 

Ingredients:

1 pint of Guinness

To pour the perfect pint, according to the company itself, start with a clean, dry glass. Pour the draught into a glass tilted at 45 degrees, until it is three-quarters full. Allow the surge to settle before filling the glass completely to the top, then enjoy. 

Of course, there are plenty of other destinations to add to the list, so personalize this international bar crawl depending on what you have available. An activity like this adds some fun to quarantine and gets the whole family involved. Just don’t forget to toast planet Earth!

Related Content:

4 cocktails that call for fresh herbs

4 easy cocktails to ring in the spring

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”