Recover from being a Harvard reject by taking a free online course

0
0
exc-5ea227e346ff3b68a2e49f59

Harvard University is offering over 64 online classes to students during the pandemic. They range from English to Biochemistry.  Photo by Will Hart via    Flickr Creative Commons

Harvard University is offering over 64 online classes to students during the pandemic. They range from English to Biochemistry. Photo by Will Hart via Flickr Creative Commons

Quarantine has proven to be a trying time for most. Many are stuck working or going to school from home, while others are kept at essential jobs or forced out of work entirely. Focusing on the difficulties brought on by the additional stress of a pandemic looming over our minds is understandably overwhelming.

On the other hand, optimists on social media haven’t hesitated to look at the bright side, citing quarantine as an opportunity for self-improvement. Reading books, playing games and listening to music are all valid ways to spend your time, but have you considered educating yourself through a three-week long course on Shakespeare?

Not many can say that Harvard was their dream school, but perhaps those who did were never able to let go of that fantasy. Here is your chance at atonement. Due to the current situation, Harvard University decided to offer free online courses, including a three-week long course on “Othello.”

Thankfully, your Harvard education isn’t limited to the work of playwrights during the Elizabethan era, as there are 64 other options for classes. Durations span from one to 15 weeks, depending on the topic and how driven you are to withstand hours of content per week, the longest of which is a course called “Principles of Biochemistry.” 

If you want to take a class but are having a hard time making a decision, Harvard’s easily accessible catalog makes the process of choosing courses a breeze. Filtering results based on subject area, price, start date, schools, duration and difficulty can help immensely in finding the suitable course for you.

Rather than passing the time by sleeping or eating, consider taking a free online course at Harvard. It is sure to keep your mind busy while also learning valuable information from a top university in the country.  Photo via    commons.wikimedia.org

Rather than passing the time by sleeping or eating, consider taking a free online course at Harvard. It is sure to keep your mind busy while also learning valuable information from a top university in the country. Photo via commons.wikimedia.org

There’s a class for almost everyone. Do your life plans include getting rich? Take a course in programming and learn about mobile app development. Did the spread of COVID-19 cause you to cancel your vacation? Take a virtual visit to the pyramids by gaining knowledge on ancient Egyptian history through an art and design course.

For some, quarantine has only decreased the amount of motivation they have and has had detrimental effects on those struggling with mental health. Staying positive is a simple yet significant way of coping through the constant anxieties caused by a ravaging virus.

Self-improvement probably sounds more selfish than providing relief towards COVID-19 victims or donating PPE to hospitals and front-line workers. However, there’s also a balance between helping others and helping yourself.

So spend your time wisely. Aim to be motivated. Acquire some new skills. 

Related Content:

UConn’s cultural centers continue to provide services and support to students

UConn Writing and Q Centers continue to offer online services

Esther Ju is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. They can be reached via email at esther.ju@uconn.edu.