UConn Faculty Honored in 2020 Women in Business Awards

0
0
exc-5ea621644dd8e3575cc44f38

A photo of UConn faculty member Radenka Maric. She was among 15 females honored in the Hartford Business Journal’s 2020 Women in Business Awards.   UConn Faculty

A photo of UConn faculty member Radenka Maric. She was among 15 females honored in the Hartford Business Journal’s 2020 Women in Business Awards. UConn Faculty

University of Connecticut faculty member Radenka Maric was among 15 female CEOs, entrepreneurs and senior level executives honored in the Hartford Business Journal’s 2020 Women in Business Awards. 

Radenka Maric earned her master’s and Ph.D. from Kyoto University for the Combustion Synthesis of Intermetallic Compounds. She came to the University of Connecticut as a professor after working as a project manager across the world for different energy science companies, according to UConn Today. Radenka Maric currently serves as the Vice President for Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship at UConn, and has been a faculty member since 2010. 

“In the past 10 years at UConn, I have been strongly promoting innovation, diversity and  transforming opportunities for students and the economic development of the state,” Maric said. 

This promotion has been in the form of research with graduate students through fellowships, as well as promoting the career planning of underrepresented student demographics in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).

“My job is to support the humanities, engineering and business, as well as supporting the arts  and broader university community,” Maric said. “… If you’re first generation, if you’re in a minority group, there is something unique about you. That is your strength. Have that desire to succeed. Never give up.” 

When asked about her career and personal advice for UConn students, Maric said that students should look for what truly inspires them when pursuing work opportunities. 

“My advice is do your best, be authentic, don’t compare yourself to others, but define for yourself what are your highs and at your lows … ask for help and support,” Maric said. 

Maric said she hopes that her legacy at UConn includes the empowering of both staff and students to be their best selves, as well as to develop a partnership and network among the community of businesses in Connecticut.  

“I want to create a path for success for UConn students,” Maric said. “… I want further generations to have empathy, to think about what the environment means for all of us, in life we are not just facing challenges, there is something to learn.” 

As for her next steps professionally, Maric said she wants to continue to help others succeed. 

“I don’t really think about what’s next for me,” Maric said. “I just think about what makes me happy.” 

Related Content:

Women’s Finance Association cultivates leadership in the finance industry 

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu