University Senate extends pass/fail deadline to May 15

0
0
exc-5ea787d1ae03ef2c5743b5bc

In the email on March 18, the University of Connecticut voted to give it’s students the option to declare any of their classes as pass/fail until the last day of classes. This deadline will be extended to May 15.  Photo via Conner Gilson/The Daily Campus.

In the email on March 18, the University of Connecticut voted to give it’s students the option to declare any of their classes as pass/fail until the last day of classes. This deadline will be extended to May 15. Photo via Conner Gilson/The Daily Campus.

The University of Connecticut Senate voted electronically Monday to extend the deadline for students to elect for their classes to be graded on a pass/fail basis until after final grades are posted.

According to the motion passed by the University Senate Executive Committee, students have the option of pass/fail grading until May 15, with final grades due from professors no later than May 12. The original exception to the university by-law, passed on March 18, stipulated that students had to elect to be graded on a pass/fail basis before the last day of Spring semester classes, May 1. 

The university believes that the COVID-19 pandemic has continued to create “extenuating circumstances beyond the students’ control” that call for the exception to the academic policy to be modified.

“The continuing crisis, and the fact that its effects are felt inequitably across the student body depending on students’ ability to access resources for on-line learning and the other demands on their time have led the Senate Executive Committee to recommend that these rules be relaxed still further by extending the date by which the Pass-Fail election must be made beyond the deadline for final grades. Students will therefore be able to make the Pass-Fail decision with knowledge of their final letter grade in the course,” the motion said.

According to the motion, students who have already elected to be graded on a pass/fail basis “will have the option of reverting to a letter grade by notifying the Registrar by May 15, 2020.”

The university urged students to contact an academic advisor or their respective dean before taking advantage of the recent policy changes, as individual schools and colleges will determine which courses may count toward degree requirements if taken on a pass/fail basis.

Related Content:

Undergraduate Student Government reduces Tier-II funding

University legislative body rules extra credits no longer required for additional degree

Conner Caridad is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.caridad@uconn.edu.