UConn alumnus creates ‘rapid response’ clearinghouse for medical supplies

0
0

UConn alum Nadav Ullman launched Project N95, a rapid response non-profit organization to supply health care providers on the frontlines.  Photo courtesy of    UConn Today

UConn alum Nadav Ullman launched Project N95, a rapid response non-profit organization to supply health care providers on the frontlines. Photo courtesy of UConn Today

Technology entrepreneur and University of Connecticut alumnus Nadav Ullman co-founded the National Critical Equipment Clearinghouse, a “rapid response non-profit organization” called Project N95.

Ullman, who graduated from the UConn School of Business in 2012, and a team of six other entrepreneurs, strategists and healthcare experts created Project N95 to serve as an intermediary between personal protective equipment (PPE) suppliers and health care providers on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to a UConn Today article, the clearinghouse has distributed over 250 million units of PPE, such as disinfectants and sanitizers, isolation gowns, ventilators, surgical masks, face shields and N95 respirators, to almost 7,000 hospitals in the United States so far. Project N95’s webpage estimates that in the next 30 days, more than 290 million units of critical equipment will be needed for 3,786 organizations.

Ullman and Project N95’s team of 100 volunteers are working to rebuild broken PPE supply chains. “It’s not that there’s a shortage of PPE,” Ullman told UConn Today. “Across the globe, some of those supplies existed, mostly in China, but the problem is that U.S. procurement teams are not set up to buy from non-American companies.”

The clearinghouse’s job now is to provide comprehensive vetting of the PPE products coming in from global suppliers, before sending them to places in need. Project N95 has reviewed pictures, videos and certifications from over 2,000 suppliers and, according to a Forbes article, only 1.6% of products have passed the tests.

“It’s an in-depth process and we do everything we can short of having boots on the ground in China,” Ullman told UConn Today.

Forbes reports that Project N95 has partnered with the governments at the municipal, state and federal levels — in order to provide real time data of COVID-19 relief initiatives —  and recently with Amazon, to increase distribution power to frontline healthcare workers.

Related Content:

PETA calls on UConn to shut down animal labs

UConn Health providing services and support to medical staff during pandemic

Conner Caridad is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.caridad@uconn.edu.