The best and worst of NFL aesthetics

0
1
exc-5ea8d2817f383c6ff7662961

In this Jan. 12, 2019, file photo, Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff celebrates after a touchdown by running back C.J. Anderson during the second half in an NFL divisional football playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys in Los Angeles. A year ago at this time, the Los Angeles Rams were fresh off a Super Bowl trip and back-to-back NFC West titles. Now they seem to be looking up at the competition in the NFL's toughest division. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

In this Jan. 12, 2019, file photo, Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff celebrates after a touchdown by running back C.J. Anderson during the second half in an NFL divisional football playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys in Los Angeles. A year ago at this time, the Los Angeles Rams were fresh off a Super Bowl trip and back-to-back NFC West titles. Now they seem to be looking up at the competition in the NFL’s toughest division. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, File)

As someone who isn’t a die-hard football fan, I often find myself paying attention to things other than the game itself when I watch the sport. I like seeing team mascots, stadiums and even their various uniforms. In a time without sports, I began thinking, why not focus on some of these other aspects of football? I started thinking about which teams have the overall best aesthetic, based on colors, uniforms, mascots, stadiums, fanbases, etc. and which teams have the overall worst aesthetics. You have to admit, supporting a team is more enjoyable when you are proud to wear the team’s colors and logos. Below, I have ranked my top and bottom three NFL team aesthetics. 

The Best:

Dallas Cowboys

As a Giants fan, it pains me to put the Cowboys on this list, but I had to. Football and Texas are like peanut butter and jelly. They just go together. The Cowboys, nicknamed America’s team, have a huge fan base throughout the country. Their silver, white and navy blue colors are crisp and timeless. Their uniforms look good without being too flashy. I’m also a fan of the star on their helmets; it’s just very fitting for this all-American team.

Green Bay Packers

In this Dec. 31, 2017, photo, Miami Dolphins quarterback Jay Cutler (6) looks from the sidelines, during the first half of an NFL football game against the Buffalo Bills in Miami Gardens, Fla. Reality TV star Kristin Cavallari and former Chicago Bears quarterback Cutler are getting divorced. Cavallari announced Sunday, April 26, 2020, in an Instagram post that the couple are breaking up after after seven years of marriage and a decade together. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

As one of the oldest football teams, the Packers aesthetic is just classic. Their fanbase is insane. Every Packers home game has been sold out since 1960, and there is even a waiting list for tickets. The cheesehead hats that fans wear are fun, and their energy is palpable even through a TV screen. Lambeau Field, named after the team’s beloved founder and head coach, is one of the most famous stadiums in the NFL. I’m not a huge fan of the yellow pants, but somehow it works for them. 

It’s also worth mentioning that the Packers are the only non-profit professional sports franchise in the world. You go Packers!

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins are my favorite animals, so I’m a little biased, but the Dolphins’ aesthetic is perfect for sunny Florida. The bright colors remind me of the beach, and overall their look is just fresh and fun. The bright colors are fitting for Miami and aren’t overpowering on the team’s uniforms. Dolphins are one of the smartest and most agile animals in the ocean and the redesigned logo, adopted in 2013, is cute but still a little fierce looking. 

In this Nov. 14, 2019, file photo, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Rashard Higgins gestures before an NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Cleveland. Higgins has agreed to a one-year contract to stay with the Cleveland Browns, a person familiar with the agreement told The Associated Press on Tuesday, April 28, 2020. (AP Photo/David Richard, File)

The Worst:

Cleveland Browns

As far as aesthetics go, the Browns definitely have the worst one. Nothing about their aesthetic is particularly appealing. Brown is quite possibly the worst color, and the color combination of brown and orange just really isn’t working for their uniforms. Their mascot, Brownie the Elf, is terrifying to look at and just doesn’t make sense. Why is he an elf? Why does he look like that? Aside from their aesthetic appeal, the Browns are just consistently bad. I’m sorry, Ohio. 

Las Vegas Raiders

I’m gonna start by saying I didn’t even know the Raiders moved to Las Vegas, but it further solidified my choice to include them at the bottom of my list. I don’t really support teams moving locations. I’m sure there are logistical and financial reasons behind it, but it seems like a disservice to the loyal fans and supporters in the area. Genuine question: If you’re from the Oakland area, and you only liked the Raiders because they were your home team, do you still like them? Or have you moved on to a different team in California?

I originally included the Raiders on this list because nothing really stands out about their aesthetic. I tried to find a backstory behind the name “raiders” and couldn’t find anything. I’m not quite sure what a raider is, but it doesn’t sound friendly. Their silver and black colors are clean but not exciting, their logo is kind of scary (Is it a pirate? Are raiders pirates?) and their Oakland stadium was notoriously one of the worst in the league. 

In this Dec. 15, 2019, file photo, Washington Redskins defensive end Jonathan Allen stands on the field during an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles in Landover, Md. The Washington Redskins have exercised the fifth-year option on defensive lineman Jonathan Allen's rookie contract. The team announced the expected move Monday, April 27, 2020, in the aftermath of the NFL draft. (AP Photo/Mark Tenally, File)

In this Dec. 15, 2019, file photo, Washington Redskins defensive end Jonathan Allen stands on the field during an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles in Landover, Md. The Washington Redskins have exercised the fifth-year option on defensive lineman Jonathan Allen’s rookie contract. The team announced the expected move Monday, April 27, 2020, in the aftermath of the NFL draft. (AP Photo/Mark Tenally, File)

Washington Redskins

It’s 2020. Why do the Redskins still have this racist and culturally inappropriate name and logo? Several Native American tribes and organizations have spoken out against the team’s name, but no efforts have been made to change it. Roger Goodell, Commissioner of the NFL, has even defended it. Washington D.C. is so full of history and symbolism. The team could so easily pick another name and rebrand themselves, yet they choose to ignore the criticism they have received. Not a good look.

Related Content:

NFL first-round mock draft 2020

Roundtable: What’s the best uniform in the NFL?

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.