A brief inquiry into The 1975 and their newest single

0
2
exc-5ea8ca129ef5123f2137ff24

A photo of the art for The 1975’s newest single ‘If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know).’  Image via    @the1975

A photo of the art for The 1975’s newest single ‘If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know).’ Image via @the1975

On April 23, fans of The 1975 were blessed with yet another single a month before the release of the band’s new album, “Notes on a Conditional Form.” Since its announcement, the group has been delivering bits and pieces of their anticipated work, releasing each song as a single. Their newest one may just be my favorite so far.

I wasn’t sure what to expect before listening to “If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know),” considering most of the songs seemed to sound different from past albums. However, I found myself  pleasantly surprised. Hearing the familiar sound of immersive guitar against a catchy beat, followed by Matty Healy’s eccentric vocals has the ability to make any hardcore The 1975 fan feel nostalgic. It reminded me a lot of their self-titled album that came out in 2013, which gave me some sliver of hope that the band is coming back to their roots.

Granted, there’s nothing really wrong with any of the other recent releases. The self-titled track featuring Greta Thunberg was pretty cool, although it wasn’t much more of a song than blunt social commentary. “People” definitely caught me off guard. Having Healy scream “wake up, wake up, wake up” into my ears only confirmed that punk rock was not my thing. Funnily enough, it ended up growing on me and has become my go-to song for whenever I want to punch a wall.

“Frail State of Mind” was somewhat of a disappointment. It’s not a particularly bad song, it just sounded similar to something I would hear while walking around in a Forever 21 store: boring. By this point, I had already assumed the album wouldn’t be for me and I didn’t even bother listening to “Me & You Together Song” (I eventually did — it was okay). While “The Birthday Party” was an improvement from the last two, it wasn’t that much of an improvement.

My faith in the band was restored when “Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America” came out. The acoustic guitar, Healy’s voice paired with Phoebe Bridgers’ and the soul-crushing lyrics of a closeted Christian were enough to make me fall in love and cry at the same time. I was finally excited again.

The release of “If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know)” only emphasized my enthusiasm. The era of their self-titled album along with “I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it” was undoubtedly the best when it came to music. I’m all for artists trying new things, but I was afraid the band would end up straying so far away from their previous stuff that it just wouldn’t work. Perhaps I didn’t need to worry after all.

Even if you’ve never heard of The 1975, or maybe you’ve already established that you hate their music, it won’t hurt to give their latest single a try. I already know what I’ll be listening to for the next month. 

Rating: 4.9/5

Related Content:

A look into Kids That Fly’s newest EP ‘Between The Lines’

The Undertow: Epilogue

Esther Ju is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. They can be reached via email at esther.ju@uconn.edu.