Meet Dorren Pierre: Massachusetts’ most promising upcoming artist

0
196

Dorren Pierre, an artist from Massachusetts who’s making a unique mark in the industry, is anticipating the impact of his new album “Therapy” dropping on May 15, which he calls a birthday present to himself and to his fans. 

Tyrell Stewart, Dorren’s manager, said this upcoming album is full of variety. 

Dorren Pierre uses artists like Jay-Z, Big Sean and Michael Jackson as his musical inspirations. His newest album “Therapy” is dropping on all streaming platforms May 15th.  Photo via Instagram    @dorrenpierre   .
Dorren Pierre uses artists like Jay-Z, Big Sean and Michael Jackson as his musical inspirations. His newest album “Therapy” is dropping on all streaming platforms May 15th. Photo via Instagram @dorrenpierre.

“It’s a good mix of stuff you bump at the gym and songs you listen to on a late-night ride,” Stewart said. “The hope for the album really is to add to his music catalog that already includes songs that are already doing well like ‘Positions,’ ‘Just a Little’ and ‘Blue Jetta.’”

Stewart said “Therapy” has been honed down over the past three months. Thanks to teamwork with engineer John Dillinger, they have been able to find which songs fit the message after a long time of creating and sifting through the best choices. 

“On this side of things, I’ve really seen the amount of effort and work that goes into creating an album,” Stewart said. “You just see the amount of perfection Dorren expects of himself.”

Prior to this upcoming release, Dorren Pierre dropped “Dead Broke, Never Dusty,” a four-song EP. It opens up with “For Real,” a smooth introduction to the project. Declaring “dead broke but I was never dusty,” he allows listeners to hear a raw story. His transparency coupled with the soft instrumental turned hype-beat vibe stays consistent throughout the work, demonstrating a concrete ability to be well-received by a large audience. While the EP was only 11 minutes long, Dorren captured listeners enough to keep them content while waiting for his new work. 

Despite Apple Music classifying his work as “Hip-Hop/Rap,” he argues that his music defies labels. 

“My sound can’t be defined,” Pierre said. “I tend to bend between the genres of reggae, hip hop, trap and really whatever comes to my head.” 

We are living in an era where music is constantly evolving. We have seen this in recent years with numerous “Soundcloud rappers” emerging with their own particular vibe. Despite how overwhelming it has been, Dorren experienced success solidifying his identity in a whirlpool of artists still trying to find themselves. 

Pierre’s music covers a wide range of genres despite being labeled as Hip Hop/Rap on Apple Music. He has already performed on some big stages and is hoping to be the next big thing in the industry.  Photo via Instagram    @dorrenpierre   .
Pierre’s music covers a wide range of genres despite being labeled as Hip Hop/Rap on Apple Music. He has already performed on some big stages and is hoping to be the next big thing in the industry. Photo via Instagram @dorrenpierre.

The list of his influences includes the likes of Kanye West, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Buju Banton, Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Sinatra and any Motown artist, according to Pierre. 

“I’ve literally learned something from all these artists,” he said. 

Out of the entire list, he resonates most with the way Big Sean inspired him to get into music. 

“I didn’t get into writing or recording until 2010,” he said. “What inspired me to start was listening to Big Sean. I’ve been listening to him since 2008. He just made it seem possible to chase your dreams by doing weekly recaps showing his journey through the music industry.”

Pierre’s first experience in a studio was Rotary Records in West Springfield, Massachusetts. but his music-making home lies in Stu 860 in Enfield, CT. 

“I first heard about it from a friend in high school named Vinny,” Pierre said. “The day I make it I definitely have to throw him some money.” 

“If you want to find Dorren then you’ll know to head to Stu 860,” Stewart said. “That’s always where he’ll be. Grinding.”

Thanks to his hard work ethic, Pierre has had the opportunity to perform at various venues. From the Oakdale Theater, MGM Springfield and The Big E to traveling around the country to perform in cities like Charlotte and Miami, he has gained a wide variety of fans. Despite his achievements, Dorren is not wasting any time as he plans to level-up within the next 12 months. 

“Next year I just see progression in all aspects of my life — as an artist and a man in general,” Pierre said. “The ultimate goal is to be an international superstar.”

You can follow Dorren Pierre’s work on Instagram, Apple Music, Soundcloud, Youtube and Tidal.