Thursday, May 2, 2024
HomeNewsUConn to pilot test-optional admission process

UConn to pilot test-optional admission process

Prospective undergraduates applying to the University of Connecticut in the next three application periods will not be required to submit standardized testing scores, according to a university press release Wednesday. 

The Board of Trustees’ Academic Affairs Committee approved for the university to try a new “test-optional” undergraduate admissions process that makes it optional for applicants starting for Fall 2021 to send their SAT and/or ACT scores, according to the press release.

Photo by     Jeswin Thomas     from     Pexels

Photo by Jeswin Thomas from Pexels

The COVID-19 pandemic fast-tracked the test-optional process since The College Board and ACT have both canceled their March and June testing dates, according to the press release. While they are in the process of creating alternative testing plans, it was also noted that high school students preparing for the exam do have varying access to conductive testing environments. 

UConn has always used a holistic approach towards looking at applicants, Director of Undergraduate Admissions Vern Granger. While students can provide their testing scores, no one will be at a disadvantage if they choose to not submit a test score. 

“UConn has always prided itself on the holistic review, which never has relied on a single data point in the evaluation of applicants. With the move to test-optional, we feel that applicants will now have the confidence to present themselves in the best way possible, without the fear of misevaluation due to not performing as well as they hoped on the SAT or ACT,” Granger said.  

Rachel Philipson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.

Rachel Philipson