Undergraduate Student Government reduces Tier-II funding

0
305
Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government passed a preliminary budget for the 2020-2021 school year with reduced funding for Tier-II organizations in a senate meeting on Wednesday.

USG comptroller and sixth-semester molecular and cell biology major Fabio Saccamanno said he thinks the $200 thousand reduction — bringing Tier-II funding to $1.1 million from $1.3 million — will not have a significant impact on student organizations in the coming school year.

“I don’t think an impact will be felt at all because I anticipate a significant or total reduction in funding to Tier-IIs resulting from the COVID-19 crisis,” Saccamanno said.

In the senate meeting, Saccamanno explained that he expects student organizations to travel away from campus less often and be less active overall because of COVID-19, though he explained that there is nothing set in stone about the Tier-II budget.

“This is a preliminary budget, so a final one will be passed during one of the early senates of the Fall. By then, we will have a much better understanding of what may happen relating to funding and travel,” Saccamanno said.

Saccamanno said that if Tier-II organizations require more funding than expected in the 2020-2021 school year, the senate will adjust accordingly.

“I monitor our Tier II funding weekly so if we ever approach the allocation it would be increased by the senate,” Saccamanno said. “My priority is to budget accurately and not to over-budget out of fear, because it can always be amended.”

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

Conner Caridad is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.caridad@uconn.edu.