UConn student suspected in double homicide bail set at $5 million

0
13

After a six-day manhunt spanning several states, Peter Manfredonia, who is accused of multiple crimes including homicide and kidnapping, was found and apprehended in Hagerstown, Maryland.  Photo via Washington County Sheriff's Office/AP

After a six-day manhunt spanning several states, Peter Manfredonia, who is accused of multiple crimes including homicide and kidnapping, was found and apprehended in Hagerstown, Maryland. Photo via Washington County Sheriff’s Office/AP

Peter Manfredonia, the 23-year-old University of Connecticut senior accused of a string of crimes including homicide, kidnapping, robbery and evading police, was transported to the Troop C-Tolland Barracks Thursday night into Friday morning, according to state police. 

Manfredonia’s bond has been set at $5 million, and was booked on the charges of murder, criminal attempt to commit murder, first degree assault, home invasion, first degree kidnapping with a firearms, first degree robbery, first degree larceny, two counts of stealing a firearm and third degree assault on the elderly. 

He was transported by Connecticut State Police and the Connecticut Department of Corrections to Rockville Superior Court where he will appear in front of a judge. According to police there will be additional charges filed against Manfredonia for the acts he was alleged to have committed in Derby, Connecticut. 

Manfredonia was apprehended by authorities in Hagerstown, Maryland on May 27 after a six-day manhunt that spanned multiple states, according to police. 

He was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office near the Pilot Travel Center on Halfway Boulevard in Hagerstown. Neither Manfredonia nor any of the responding officers were injured in the arrest. 

On May 27, Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont tweeted, “Thank you to law enforcement members from the @CT_STATE_POLICE and local PD, as well as those from each of our neighboring states, for their dedicated commitment regarding this matter. We are appreciative of their unified approach to this disturbing situation.”

The violent chain of events began May 22 in Willington, Connecticut when 62-year-old native Ted DeMers offered to give Manfredonia a ride back to his motorcycle after spotting him walking down the street with a helmet on. Moments after getting into DeMers’s car, Manfredonia brutally attacked and killed DeMers with a machete and seriously injured a neighbor, 80-year-old John Franco, who tried to help. 

Manfredonia fled the scene and broke into a nearby home where he held the homeowner captive and stole weapons, food and a truck before fleeing west sometime between May 23 and May 24. The homeowner was unharmed and refused medical treatment. 

Manfredonia is then believed to have entered the Derby home of 23-year-old Nicholas Eisele, an acquaintance who grew up in Newtown with the suspect. Manfredonia reportedly shot and killed Eisele and forced his girlfriend into her 2016 Volkswagen Jetta before fleeing again. 

The Jetta was found at a truck stop in Columbia, New Jersey, about seven miles away from the Pennsylvania border. The girlfriend, who has not yet been publicly identified, was located nearby and is unharmed. She is back home in Connecticut and is being questioned by police. 

Police said Manfredonia is believed to have taken multiple Ubers across state borders, including one to WalMart in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, where he then walked behind the store on the railroad tracks. Surveillance footage confirmed the claim. He was also seen on surveillance at a Sheetz store in Chambersburg. A Hyundai Santa Fe which was reported stolen earlier this week was found near the Sheetz location. 

Police said Manfredonia was seen getting into another Uber which drove him approximately 25 miles into Maryland where he was eventually caught in Hagerstown. 

Manfredonia is a 2015 graduate of Newtown High School in Connecticut. He was enrolled in the UConn joint management and engineering for manufacturing (MEM) program and the honors program, a UConn spokesperson confirmed earlier this week. He had not recently lived on campus and is not enrolled in any summer classes or credits. 

A motive for the attacks is unclear. 

This is a developing story. 

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl.

Taylor Harton is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.