USG Vice President resigns

0
489
Alex Ose resigned from her position as University of Connecticut undergraduate student government vice president with the hopes that more diverse voices can be heard in leadership roles on campus.  Photo via    USG   .
Alex Ose resigned from her position as University of Connecticut undergraduate student government vice president with the hopes that more diverse voices can be heard in leadership roles on campus. Photo via USG.

University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government Vice President Alex Ose has resigned, citing the need for more diverse voices to be in leadership positions.

“I am resigning from my position as Vice President of the Undergraduate Student Body,” Ose said in an email. “This decision has not been an easy one, but due to the climate and incidents of racial injustice across the country and at the university, I feel that it is my duty to step down from my position to make space for BIPOC (black, indigineous and people of color) voices to truly rise and be heard. It is my responsibility to make space, not to create an echo.”

Ose, elected two months ago with running mate President Josh Crow, called on other USG members to follow suit.

“I am asking all members of USG to truly consider their intent in holding their positions, and to urge everyone to truly think if they are making space for the voices that need to be heard right now,” Ose said. “I call upon the senators and executive board to consider also stepping down to make space for BIPOC voices.”

In March, Crow and Ose won the USG leadership roles against contenders Jase Valle (P) and Guymara Manigat (VP).  

There’s no word on Ose’s replacement.

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.