Huskies Officially Back in the Big East

0
303

With the fate of sports being unknown for the 2020-21 season, one thing is certain. With the exception of football, UConn athletics has rejoined the Big East Conference after spending seven years in the American Athletic Conference.

UConn is one of the seven founding members of the conference and will rejoin four of those original teams: Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John’s. Before joining the AAC, the Huskies were Big East members for 34 years prior spanning from 1979 to 2013. Within their 34 years in the conference, UConn athletics achieved a great amount of success. 

The Huskies earned a total of 80 conference championship titles with 18 of those titles coming from the dominant women’s basketball team, beginning with their first conference title in 1989. Women’s field hockey also earned 18 conference titles.

The Big East allowed for UConn athletics to establish itself as a force.

Aside from championships, UConn’s athletic teams managed to get individual players recognized as conference MVP’s, as well, a few being the likes of Maya Moore, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Kara Wolters, Rebecca Lobo, and the list goes on.

The competition levels that fuel the Big East gives way for close matchups, as well as provides a spark for the NCAA tournament. In UConn women’s basketball’s final season in the Big East, they lost the conference title to Notre Dame, yet they were driven even more in the NCAA tournament, in which it obtained its eighth national championship that year.

Rejoining the Big East is a welcome sight for fans, and is sure to bring plenty of excitement for the seasons to come.

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.