New Executive Order allows mask exemption for medical conditions

0
383

In Connecticut, any person in a public place must have a medical condition, be under the age of two and/or be a child in a child care setting in order to not wear a mask or face covering, according to the state’s latest executive order No. 7NNN.

In the executive order enacted August 14,  Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz, as acting governor, wrote that any one who does not wear a mask due to a medical condition must provide documentation from a medical provider, the Department of Developmental Service or a state agency that provides support for “people with emotional, intellectual or physical disabilities.” Photo by Norma Mortenson/Pexels

In the executive order enacted August 14,  Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz, as acting governor, wrote that any one who does not wear a mask due to a medical condition must provide documentation from a medical provider, the Department of Developmental Service or a state agency that provides support for “people with emotional, intellectual or physical disabilities.” 

“Such documentation need not name or describe the condition that qualifies the person for the exemption,” Bysiewicz wrote in the order. 

The University of Connecticut must follow all state executive orders and will accommodate those with medical conditions, Stephanie Reitz, university spokesperson, said. Anyone with a medical condition should reach out to the Center for Students with Disabilities to begin the accommodation process. 

According to the Reopen UConn website, wearing a mask is required in classrooms and all common spaces, indoor and outdoor, unless they qualify for mask exemption.

“The University will work with students and employees who are unable to wear a mask to find an effective solution that will ensure the safety of others,” the website said. “Other than those who are unable to wear a traditional mask due to a medical condition, for example, masking in classrooms and other commons spaces is not optional.” 

For students living on campus, they must follow all University guidelines and State of

Connecticut public health mandates regarding face masks, according to the Temporary Health and Safety Procedures and the Housing Contract.  For students who do not have accommodation, they must wear a mask in all residential public places, such as common areas, hallways and stairwells.

“Students living within the residence halls for the Fall semester must comply with the Temporary Health and Safety Procedures and the Housing Contract,” according to the Reopen UConn website.  “Repeated failure to follow expectations such as masking and physical distancing may result in a referral to Community Standards and/or removal from the residence halls.”

In a press release from the Office of Governor Ned Lamont, the order contains provisions to help people get the proper documentation without facing a significant burden.

For those who are not qualified for mask exemption, the executive order states, “any person in a public place in Connecticut, whether indoors or outdoors, who does not maintain a safe social distance of approximately six feet from every other person shall cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth face-covering.” 

Accordinging to executive order No. 7NNN, it took place immediately after signing and will be in effect for six months. 

Rachel Philipson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.