Champions League Final Recap: Bayern Munich Stands Tall Against PSG

0
260
Munich players celebrate with the trophy after winning the Champions League final soccer match between Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich at the Luz stadium in Lisbon, Portugal, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2020. Photo by Matthew Childs/AP

Bayern Munich capped off an amazing Champions League run by beating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 to win the club’s sixth Champions League title. The German giants beat their French opponents in a game that was truly the tale of two halves. Kingsley Coman’s lone goal was enough to put the game away for Bayern, as their defense held strong to hold off PSG’s star-studded attack. 

PSG’s stars had their chances to grab a goal during the competition but weren’t able to capitalize on any of their opportunities. The Ligue 1 winners were looking to capture their first Champions League title in club history. Neymar is left scratching the surface of success as he has failed to win a major competition since his move to France from Barcelona in 2017. 

The first half was a back and forth affair as both sides had multiple opportunities to score. The scoring almost started in the 18th minute for PSG when Kylian Mbappe threaded a through ball to Neymar who had a clear shot on goal, but Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer stood strong making two crucial saves for Bayern to keep the score level. Less than two minutes later, Bayern came down the other side of the pitch as Alphonso Davies delivered a beautiful cross to Robert Lewandowski, and the Polish international hit the post with a decent strike. 

In the 23rd minute, PSG’s counter attack caught the Bayern defense off guard as they stormed down the pitch. But in the end, it amounted to nothing as Angel Di Maria put the ball over the crossbar. Bayern defender Jerome Boateng was subbed off in the 26th minute after suffering an apparent ankle injury and was replaced by Niklas Süle. Bayern Munich’s next chance came off the head of Lewandowski as he forced PSG keeper Keylor Navas to make a decent save. 

PSG’s best goal scoring chance of the game came in the 44th minute as Bayern defender David Alaba gave the ball away in his own 18 yard box. Mbappe played a quick one-two with midfielder Ander Herrea and had a one-on-one chance with Neuer. He then took a very weak shot right at the Bayern Keeper. Bayern then quickly countered and made their way down the field to PSG’s final third. Coman then went one on one with PSG defender Thilo Kehrer as it looked like the Bayern winger drew a penalty kick against the German defender. The play was then checked by the video assistant referee (VAR) and Bayern was not awarded a penalty. 

The second half was less back and forth as Bayern looked dominant throughout the half. They limited PSG’s chances and really had the majority possession of the ball. Chance after chance came for the Bundesliga champions, but they weren’t able to deliver until the 59th minute when a ball from Joshua Kimmich was headed into the bottom corner by Coman. 

Bayern’s Kingsley Coman, center, tries to score past PSG’s Thilo Kehrer, left, and PSG’s goalkeeper Keylor Navas, right, during the Champions League final soccer match between Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich at the Luz stadium in Lisbon, Portugal, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2020. Photo by Miguel A. Lopes/AP)

PSG then had the opportunity to equalize when Di Maria’s weak cross made its way through the Bayern defence to Brazialian midfielder Marquinhos. The Brazilian had a good whack at the ball but it was saved by Neuer. 

Bayern then had another chance in the 84th minute from a free kick from 25 yards out. Philippe Coutinho then whipped the ball just wide of the post. In stoppage time, PSG looked to level the score with one last opportunity. Mbappe carried the ball down the field playing a clever ball through to Neymar, who was able to spin and fire a ball across the 6 yard box, but no one was able to get on the end of it. After that, Bayern Munich were able to coast to the finish line as they won their sixth Champions League title, completing the German treble. 

In a game that was not expected to be low scoring, both clubs missed loads of chances to put the ball in the back of the net. Coman’s well placed header was the only difference between the two sides. Bayern Munich have once again been crowned champions of Europe while Neymar and PSG will look to make it back to that stage next season. 

Ty Reeves is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ty.reeves@uconn.edu.