Staying safe on campus during COVID-19

0
370
Students are wearing masks and social distancing to limit the spread of COVID-19 on campus. Photo by Tulsi Patel/The Daily Campus.

The coronavirus pandemic has caused universities to make many changes to ensure that the return to campus is safe for students, professors and staff. The University of Connecticut has implemented many new protocols that prioritize the health and safety of the entire UConn community to limit the risk of new cases. 

There are many ways you can hold yourself accountable to protect your own health and the health of those around you. Maintaining proper personal hygiene, including frequent hand washing and disinfecting frequently used surfaces, are just a few ways you can reduce the spread of germs.  

All Storrs campus residents were tested upon their arrival to campus and directed to quarantine for 14 days. Although this quarantine is now over, it is recommended that students continue to practice social distancing while in public settings and wear masks on campus to reduce the risk of transmission. 

Beginning on Aug. 28, all students, faculty and staff were required to wear face coverings while on campus. This mandate was accompanied by an increased effort to provide washable cloth face masks to all members of the UConn community on the Storrs and satellite campuses, in addition to off-campus and commuter students. 

As opposed to residential students, who were provided with a mask during move-in, off-campus students in need of more masks can reach out to their property manager or the Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services to pick up a mask. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention emphasizes the importance of wearing masks during the pandemic to prevent respiratory droplets from travelling in the air and infecting those around you. Masks are a simple yet effective way to reduce the spread of COVID-19, especially in close contact areas around campus like lecture halls, dorms and the gym.  

Two students walking through campus keeping their distance and wearing masks. Photo by Tulsi Patel/The Daily Campus.

If you begin to show symptoms or test positive for COVID-19, you are expected to self-isolate at home. If you live on the Storrs campus and are unable to isolate at home, you will be placed in quarantine at one of the designated spots on campus. It is imperative that you are proactive if you begin to show symptoms and alert Student Health Services so they can properly handle your case.  

It is also important to note that in order to limit the number of cases on campus, the UConn community must work together to abide by school and state laws. Wearing a mask, frequently washing your hands and maintaining proper social distancing protocols are a few of the ways in which you can help reduce the spread of COVID-19. 

Although this school year is going to look different from most, we can try to maintain some aspect of normalcy by following the guidelines set by the state and university.  

If you would like to learn more about what UConn is doing in regards to COVID-19, visit: https://uconn.edu/public-notification/coronavirus/