UConn Recreation Center opens its doors to students on campus with some limitations

0
305
The UConn Rec Center is once again open for the fall semester, but with new health and safety guidelines. Photo by Alex Leo/The Daily Campus.

With the cautious reopening of the University of Connecticut well underway, the UConn Student Recreation Center (SRC) was able to open again Monday. 

This year brings some changes to how the SRC functions, but still provides much of the same experience students can expect from previous years. 

According to the SRC’s website, the university is taking health and wellness seriously by implementing multiple precautions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To keep UConn healthy, the SRC encourages members to clean equipment after every use, and to take advantage of the multiple hand sanitizer stations available throughout the facility. 

Only students living on campus or participating in on-campus classes will be able to access the SRC, as it will be running at a half capacity with a maximum of 250 members in the building at a time. Once that number is reached, students are advised not to visit the SRC until the facility falls below the maximum capacity. Students can check the SRC capacity online via the UConn Rec App. 

Masks will be required to enter the building and must be worn during all activities, and social distancing is encouraged. Members will also only be able to enter the SRC through the North Entrance near the School of Business, and exit only through the West Entrance facing the UConn Bookstore. 

Students are seen signing in to enter the Recreation Center. Photo by Alex Leo/The Daily Campus.

The SRC will also be shutting down twice a day from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and at closing to conduct a thorough cleaning of the facility. In addition, high-touch point items and common spaces will be cleaned throughout operational hours. 

Although the SRC is opening this week, its staff have been keeping students busy with virtual fitness and wellness classes by live streaming through their Instagram. Courses and programs such as Yoga Flow, HITT and Kickboxing have been uploaded daily and will continue throughout the semester. 

There will be in-person fitness classes available with limited class sizes to allow social distancing. Students are encouraged to arrive 15 minutes early and to bring their own water bottle and mat when applicable. 

The Adventure Center will also be available to use, with some adjustments due to COVID-19 as well. The Climbing Center and Cycle Share will be open, and students will also be able to rent equipment for free (with the exception of Mountain Bike and Cycle Share bikes) for the Fall 2020 semester. 

Students can go to the SRC’s website for more information about the reopening at recreation.uconn.edu.