Closing in on the Playoffs

0
205
Connecticut Sun's Alyssa Thomas, left, looks past the defense of Indiana Fever's Kennedy Burke during the first half of a WNBA basketball game Saturday, Sept. 5, 2020, in Bradenton, Fla. (AP Photo/Mike Carlson)

This WNBA-filled weekend was nothing less than exciting as it provided some intense matchups amongst the teams. Seven of the eight available spots for playoffs have now been filled, adding the Phoenix Mercury and Connecticut Sun to the list. Unfortunately, the New York Liberty is no longer considered a contender, due to only winning two games thus far on the season. 

As Washington opened up the weekend, they managed to put an end to their five-game losing streak, setting the tone for the weekend ahead. 

As the Seattle Storm matched up against the Los Angeles Sparks, the Sparks missed their chance at redemption against the Storm, with one point shy of a victory. Led by Jewell Loyd, who ended the night with 25 points, the Storm clinched their win against the Sparks in the remaining 0.8 seconds on the clock. Lloyd received an inbound pass on the wing from Sue Bird and knocked down the three-pointer, beating the buzzer. 

The weekend of games got even more intense as the Dallas Wings and Washington Mystics matched up and went into overtime for the second time this season against one another. Arike Ogunbawale led Dallas on the statsheet with 39 points, including her three-point buzzer beater with 0.7 seconds remaining in regulation. From her college career to her professional career, it has become clear that in a time of need, her teammates can count on her to make a play happen as time winds down. As the game was tied at 86 entering overtime, Ogunbawale and her team did not let up, ending the game 101-94. 

While Minnesota made it past Dallas, they struggled against Seattle. Seattle is truly a force to be reckoned with, especially as it nears playoffs time. 

As far as the Sun are concerned, although Phoenix secured the sixth spot prior to the Sun reserving a playoffs spot, the 2019 runner-up executed in gameplay this weekend. They sailed past the Indiana Fever and finished off Labor Day weekend defeating the Mercury, both games led by DeWanna Bonner. Bonner makes her presence known in the paint and continuously shows a fearlessness to drive and pull up. Alyssa Thomas and Bonner complement one another, making the paint uncomfortable for the opposing team. 

Chicago fell to both teams that they faced this weekend: — Washington and Los Angeles. Both games were no more than a 10-point deficit, and Cheyenne Parker gave it her all each time around. 

Seattle appears to be the leading contender in the league, yet nothing is the same once playoffs come around. Any team has the chance at a victory, potentially leading to a championship.