WNBA: Huskies in the League

0
220
The Huskies continue their march down the tournament as they win against the UCLA Bruins 69-61 on Friday 03/29/2019. Napheesa Collier (24), Crystal Dangerfield (5), and Christyn Williams (23) lead the game with 25, 15, and 14 points each. File photo courtesy of Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

Napheesa Collier and Crystal Dangerfield continue to be a dynamic duo in the WNBA. In their most recent matchup against the Washington Mystics, Collier and Dangerfield had a combined 41 points for the Minnesota Lynx. Dangerfield also added three defensive rebounds and seven assists. Collier and Dangerfield received the most minutes on the floor, although falling short of a victory. These two are a pair to look out for, especially when considering end of the season honors like Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year. Dangerfield has been consistent in all areas, alongside Collier, and has yet to falter.  

Of the two UConn rookies in the league, Megan Walker had a slower start, yet as the Liberty faced one of their toughest components, the Los Angeles Sparks, she came out hungry, finishing the game with eight points. Although she will not experience the playoffs this year, she got a glimpse of what is expected of her and perhaps, like in her freshman year at UConn, this is the gradual start to seeing all that she can do on the court. 

In their most recent matchup against the Washington Mystics, Collier and Dangerfield had a combined 41 points for the Minnesota Lynx. Dangerfield also added three defensive rebounds and seven assists. In this January 23rd file photo, Crystal Dangerfield led the Huskies with 14 points against Tennessee 60-45. File Photo / The Daily Campus.

Liberty teammate Kia Nurse has also struggled to find success this season. Nonetheless, she still is a leader for her team. With four players out  including Asia Durr and most recently Amanda Zahui B., Nurse and the other veterans have the obligation of teaching the seven rookies the ways of the league. 

15-year WNBA veteran Diana Taurasi has yet to miss a beat in her playing career and remains relentless on the court with her name once again among the top scorers in the league. Although the Mercury fell short to the Connecticut Sun, that did not stop Taurasi from contributing 19 points and snatching three rebounds off the glass. With more veterans on her team, Taurasi has found consistent ways to lead her team to wins compared to her fellow UConn-alum. 

The WNBA playoffs are just around the corner, and while we won’t see all of the alumni present, those who made the cut are sure to put on a show with the stakes raised.