USG to hold special election

0
393
person dropping paper on box
Photo by Element5 Digital on Pexels.com

This fall, the University of Connecticut Undergraduate Student Government will hold a special election following the resignations of the former president and vice president this summer. 

Former President Josh Crow and Vice President Alex Ose stepped down from their positions, citing their hope to give marginalized groups a platform. The Speaker of the Senate at the time, Will Schad, became the interim president following the constitutional chain of command.  

There will also be a constitutional referendum on the ballot for a Chief Diversity Officer position, along with a list of candidates to choose from.  

This USG election will be conducted entirely online, and candidates must rely on word of mouth along with their social media platforms because tabling and canvassing is not permitted due to COVID-19. The USG instagram page, @usguconn, will be posting engagement messages  to encourage as many students as possible.  

This USG election will be conducted entirely online, and candidates must rely on word of mouth along with their social media platforms because tabling and canvassing is not permitted due to COVID-19.

The Intent to Run form is due next Wednesday, while the Petition by Peers form is due the following Wednesday. Once a student has stated their  intent to run and has collected the necessary signatures from their peers, they are eligible to be on the ballot.  

Elections will be held from Sept. 29 through Oct. 1.  

Michael Cerulli, the Elections Oversight Commissioner, said he hopes this election will be the “most inclusive and the most diverse in the history of our organization.”  

“most inclusive and the most diverse in the history of our organization.”  

Although COVID-19 has created barriers for this election, it has also forced candidates and USG members to get creative. Cerulli is excited and wants “as many people as possible to be engaged in this election,” urging that “student government doesn’t work unless it looks, thinks, sounds, and acts like the student body.”  

Questions about the upcoming election can be directed to Michael Cerulli at eoc@usg.uconn.edu and updates can be found on the USG instagram.  

USG election information can be found here