WNBA: Wrapping up the regular season

0
150
New York Liberty's Layshia Clarendon (7) is defended by Atlanta Dream's Courtney Williams (10) during the first half of a WNBA basketball game Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020, in Bradenton, Fla. New York is no longer in the running for a spot in the playoffs, unlike Atlanta, who still has a chance later this month. (AP Photo/Mike Carlson)

The WNBA regular season will conclude on Sunday, and playoffs are due to start on Tuesday, Sept. 15. Since several games were rescheduled due to the protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin over the shooting of Jacob Blake, the season was pushed back a day—to Sunday, rather than Saturday as originally planned. The two first-round playoff games are yet to be determined, but this weekend, the seedings will be sorted out. The New York Liberty are no longer in the running for a playoff spot given their record, but the remaining games will uncover which team has a right to the remaining spot. The Dallas Wings, Atlanta Dream and Washington Mystics will be competing through the end of the regular season as they seek to clinch a spot. 

The Connecticut Sun and Chicago Sky are sure to compete in the first round of playoffs, and they will be either the No. 6 or No. 7 seeds. 

The Minnesota Lynx may potentially have a bye in the first round; however, they are in competition with the Phoenix Mercury. The Lynx must win their remaining games in order to clinch the first-round bye. The Mercury, on the other hand, are led by two outstanding guards: Diana Taurasi and Skylar Diggins-Smith. Alongside DeWanna Bonner, Diggins-Smith was named Player of the Week after her performance against the Sun which brought the Mercury a victory. Diggins-Smith ended the matchup against the Sun with 33 points after bringing the game into overtime with 3.4 seconds remaining in regulation. With that being said, either team is deserving of the spot – especially with the leading guard for the Lynx being a rookie, Crystal Dangerfield, who brings a fierceness to the court. 

Seedings will be a major part of the eventful weekend ahead. Currently, Seattle are set to be the No. 1 seed. However Las Vegas, who is the only team to have beaten the Storm this season, are a contender for the overall No. 1 seed. Las Vegas and Seattle will end the weekend in a matchup against one another. If the Aces beat the Storm, there will be a tie-breaking game between the two teams. In the case that the Aces fall to the Storm, the Storm are guaranteed the No. 1 seed in the playoffs. 

Las Vegas have more than just Seattle to worry about. Before the Aces are set to match up against the Storm, they first have to go through the Los Angeles Sparks, who have the potential to take away their contention for the No. 1 seed. The previous meeting of these two teams resulted in a close matchup with a two basket difference, so it will not be an easy game. 

While there is always a winner and loser in a game, the display of effort is unmatched. This weekend is sure to be intense. No team is willing to let up at this point in time, especially not with playoffs around the corner.