Casual Cadenza: Da capo

0
83
The purpose of this column is primarily geared towards both mine and your enjoyment. If you like music at all or if you’re just looking for a fun read, you might actually find yourself pleasantly surprised. Photo courtesy of @rexcuando on Unsplash.com

How would you describe quarantine? An era of washing hands, wearing masks and flinching every time someone coughs? While this is true, quarantine is no more an era of staying safe than an era of change. After all, the fact that we now have to make efforts to stay safe in the first place is a change itself. Such fluctuations have certainly brought a negative effect for people, causing them to flock towards any outlet that offers consistency. As for me, I turned towards music. 

It came in handy for obvious reasons: daily quarantine walks, drowning out family members and other results of boredom when trapped inside your house. In fact, making playlists has actually become a hobby of mine. 

I wouldn’t say my taste in music is anything special (for reference, think normie indie). Gatekeeping is also not my intention nor does it consist of anything I support. The purpose of this column is primarily geared towards both mine and your enjoyment. If you like music at all or if you’re just looking for a fun read, you might actually find yourself pleasantly surprised.  

Music and everyday life tend to connect so well that it makes it that much easier to write about. It was actually this exact thought that helped me come up with the title. Photo courtesy of @shutters_guild on Unsplash.com.

It’s also a known fact that music is highly accessible. You don’t always have to look to find it, but when you do, sometimes it creates the best conversations. Music and everyday life tend to connect so well that it makes it that much easier to write about. It was actually this exact thought that helped me come up with the title. If you were still wondering what a cadenza is, it’s “a moment in a musical piece where an instrumentalist or singer is given the opportunity to play a solo freely and with artistic license to go outside of a rigid tempo or rhythm,” a definition of what I’ll essentially be doing. 

Casual Cadenza is a space for me to openly talk about anything regarding music. I’m not planning on talking about three consecutive bands or telling you what you should or shouldn’t listen to. Instead, I’m hoping this column will not only help me analyze my own musical opinions, but also give some thought to others. Music taste ranges for everyone and although I probably won’t get the opportunity to listen to every single genre in the course of this year, branching out doesn’t sound like such a bad idea. 

Staying at home this semester can seem like a depriving time when it comes to creative license. It’s just another aspect of this era of change. On the other hand, quarantine has led people to pursue new activities, whether that be practicing a hobby or learning a language. It’s a healthy method of adaptation and one that I feel inclined to participate in. With the majority of my friends living on campus, music will be the only thing keeping me occupied when I’m not drowning in online classes. It’ll serve as a distraction or a coping mechanism, depending on how this year goes. Either way, I’m excited to relay my musical ventures, whatever they turn out to be. 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @rexcuando on Unsplash.com