UConn Education Abroad goes virtual

0
159

This fall, University of Connecticut students can intern abroad in London without ever leaving home, according to the Education Abroad website.  

The UConn Education Abroad office has created a virtual intern abroad program, based in London, where students can earn up to four credits for interning in a variety of fields, including business, finance, marketing, computer science and history, according to the website.  

…We thought about on-boarding something like this even before COVID to provide opportunities for students who can’t otherwise travel abroad, for whatever reason. And, COVID is what really galvanized us to put this into action.” 

Matthew Yates, Director of UConn Education Abroad

“Beginning in Fall 2020, the program will run for 12 weeks during the fall and spring semesters, allowing students to gain practical experience while earning academic credit. Most majors are eligible for the program (which, for non-UConn students, is subject to approval by their home institution),” according to the website. “Together with an unpaid internship for up to 18 hours a week, students will undertake a weekly work placement seminar.”  

The program, according to the website, will cost students $2,695 and will be more flexible to each student’s availability, as it is a remote internship.  

“Typically, an internship will last 8 – 14 weeks and be up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. The internship will fit around any classes students may be taking,” according to the website. “As it is a remote internship, supervisors are flexible with their working hours as long as their projects get completed on time.” 

According to Matthew Yates, director of UConn Education Abroad, the university is looking to make virtual education abroad programs a permanent opportunity, and expand the program into multiple cities, in time for the spring semester.  

“This is expanding in terms of sites. We are on-boarding four new cities in the European Union; those are Dublin, Ireland; Prague, Czech Republic; Madrid, Spain and Paris, France,” Yates said. “So, students can do virtual internships in any five of those cities, including London, of course.”  

Yates noted virtual education abroad was a program that the Education Abroad office had been planning to implement long before the current pandemic impacted travel restrictions.  

“It wasn’t brand new, it was something we had talked about for a little over a year,” Yates said. “So we thought about on-boarding something like this even before COVID to provide opportunities for students who can’t otherwise travel abroad, for whatever reason. And, COVID is what really galvanized us to put this into action.” 

Yates said Education Abroad is looking to expand domestically as well, providing internships based in Washington, D.C. for the spring semester.  

Students can learn more about these virtual education abroad opportunities at a virtual event set to occur in October, Yates said. 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @dominikagregus on Pexels.com.