US Open Recap: DeChambeau takes the prize

0
107
Bryson DeChambeau, of the United States, kisses the winner’s trophy after winning US Open Golf Championship, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020, in Mamaroneck, N.Y. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

The legend of Bryson DeChambeau took another leap forward this weekend as he ran away from the field to win the 120th U.S. Open by a whopping six shots, taking home his first major tournament victory. Matthew Wolff, the 54-hole leader, struggled all day on Sunday, shooting five-over and finishing at even par to take second place. 

As expected, the monster that is Winged Foot delivered with a brutal weekend that brought cooler temperatures to New York and two rounds of difficult golf for those that made the cut. With higher, gusting winds and temperatures hovering in the low 60s, players were losing distance on their swings and finding themselves in the thick, deep rough throughout the course on the last two days. Harris English lost a ball on the very first shot of his final round, spraying it into the left rough where it was so thick that neither him nor any of the marshals could find it. The greens were as fast as they have been all weekend from the sun beating down on them, and every surface on the course was firm from the cold weather, making it harder to putt and even hit from the fairway if a player was actually able to put it there. 

Despite this, DeChambeau played lights out on Sunday, finishing as the only player that posted a score under par on Sunday, as well as being just the third golfer in U.S. Open history to finish in red figures at Winged Foot. He finished the day at -3, recording only one bogey, but then quickly making up for it by eagling the ninth hole, which helped him maintain a two-shot lead as he made the turn and made him the first player to card an eagle in the final round and win the U.S. Open since 1937. From there, he continued his strong performance by finishing the back nine at one-under. The course got the best of his partner Wolff, however, as he recorded five bogeys, one double bogey and an eagle to shoot a disappointing +5 final round.  

As the year’s second major comes to a close, the Tour turns to the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship next week. This course will not have fans in attendance, but FedEx Cup points will be available for the first time in the tournament’s history.