Popular Luis “Soop Doop” Diaz temporarily leaving USM for Towers

0
186

Luis “Soop Doop” Diaz is temporarily leaving the Union Street Market (USM) to work at Gelfenbien Commons (Towers Dining Hall). 

“I [feel] a little different because [I’ve] been at the Union for 13 years so yes I’m going to miss it,” Diaz said. 

Diaz, who works as a kitchen assistant, is one of six Union Street Market kitchen workers being temporarily transferred to another dining facility, he said. University of Connecticut spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said the staffing changes were made to cover vacant shifts in residential dining halls. Reitz also attributed a general lack of business in retail food service areas on campus as a contributing factor to the change. 

Diaz said he’ll miss the students he interacts with at the Union the most. 

“That’s number one, soop doop,” Diaz said. “Thank you for all the love. Going to miss that a lot at the Union. I had people cheering for me. I’m going to miss that everytime I say ‘soop doop.’” 

Seventh-semester allied health sciences major Rike Tyles said she’ll miss seeing Diaz this semester when grabbing lunch. 

“Thank you for all the love. Going to miss that a lot at the Union. I had people cheering for me. I’m going to miss that everytime I say ‘soop doop.’”

“So happy he’s still around, though, too bad we can’t see him,” Tyles said, referring to students without a meal plan. 

Diaz will only be working there for the rest of this semester, he said, as he will return to the Union next semester when business is expected to pick back up. 

“I’m happy to be going back again,” Diaz said. 

Diaz’s first day at Towers is Tuesday. He will work from Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

“Make sure to come visit at Towers,” Diaz said. “God bless.”