Premier League Recap: Zaha leads Crystal Palace past Manchester United

0
165
Tottenham’s goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, left, makes a save during the English Premier League soccer match between Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur at St. Mary’s Stadium in Southampton, England, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020. Photo by Cath Ivill/Pool via AP.

The Premier League offered fans around the world exciting football this past weekend. Tottenham Hotspur thrashed Southampton away from home while Arsenal stood strong against West Ham at the Emirates. Liverpool managed to beat a crippled Chelsea, and Wilfred Zaha and Crystal Palace shocked Manchester United at Old Trafford. 

Crystal Palace: 3 Manchester United: 1 

On the back of Wilfred Zaha, Crystal Palace put three goals in the back of the net against Manchester United. The Red Devils controlled the game having 76% of the possession during the match. However, it was Palace who made the most of their opportunities during the game. Palace got off to a quick start, scoring in the first 10 minutes to take a 1-0 lead against United. The move started when midfielder Jefferey Schlupp beat the United defender and played a ball across the face of the goal. The cross was met by midfielder Andros Townsend as he slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 

Manchester United’s luck wouldn’t get any better as defender Victor Lindelof was called for a handball in his penalty box,resulting in a penalty kick for Palace. Striker Jordan Ayew stepped up to take the penalty for Palace. His shot was then saved by United keeper David De Gea. However, after being checked by the video assistant referee (VAR), De Gea was called for leaving his line before the shot was kicked, meaning Palace would be awarded another penalty kick. Zaha then stepped up and slotted the ball away to give Palace a 2-0 lead. 

Manchester United had a glimmer of hope in the 80th minute when substitute Donny Van De Beek brought the score to 2-1. Moments later, in the 84th minute, Zaha put the game out of reach for Manchester United when he blasted the ball into the bottom left corner to give Palace a 3-1 lead. That’s how the game would end as Zaha, the former Manchester United player, proved to be the Red Devils’ kryptonite. 

Tottenham: 5 Southampton: 2 

Tottenham bounced back to their winning ways by defeating Southampton, and it was the Son Heung-min and Harry Kane show. Southampton controlled the match in the first half, but Son and Kane proved to be too much for the squad in the second half. 

Southampton started the scoring in the 32nd minute when striker Danny Ings made a beautiful run between the two Spurs defenders. The Englishmen then took a touch and placed the ball past Tottenham keeper Hugo Lloris to give the Saints a 1-0 lead. The Spurs were able to get level in stoppage time for the first half when Kane played a ball to a scampering Son where he finished to level the game at 1-1. 

In the second half, the combination of Son and Kane proved to be too much for the Saints in the long run. In the 47th minute, Kane once again threaded the ball through the Southampton defense to the South Korean international as Son slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to give Tottenham a 2-1 lead. The scoring would continue in the 64th minute as Kane yet again found Son running through the defense, passing the ball by the Southampton keeper to extend the lead to 3-1 and completing the hattrick. Son would again score in the 73rd minute to bring his goal tally to four and put Tottenham in the lead 4-1. 

Spurs’ main attacking option Kane finally found the back of the net in the 82nd minute as the England International converted off a rebound to give Tottenham a 5-1 lead. The Saints would get a goal back in the 90th minute as Ings converted a penalty kick to bring the score to 5-2. 

Arsenal’s Eddie Nketiah, left, celebrates after the English Premier League soccer match between Arsenal and West Ham at the Emirates Stadium in London, England, Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020. Photo by Will Oliver/Pool via AP.

Arsenal: 2 West Ham: 1 

Arsenal continued their run of good form, edging West Ham United in the London Derby 2-1. It wasn’t a typical Arsenal performance that fans have come accustomed to, but it was enough to get the job done. Even though the Gunners walked away with the win, for a majority of the match, the Hammers were the more threatening side. 

In the opening minutes of the match, West Ham got their first shot on goal as defender Angelo Ogbonna had a wide-open header. Unfortunately for the Hammers, the ball was headed directly at Arsenal keeper Bernd Leno. Arsenal opened up the scoring in the 25th minute as striker Alexandre Lacazette headed the ball into the top of the net to give Arsenal a 1-0 lead. The move started when winger Bukayo Saka threaded the ball through the West Ham defense to captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Aubameyang, on his weaker left foot, chipped the ball near the penalty spot, and Lacazette finished the play with a goal. West Ham leveled the score 1-1 right before half time as the Hammers quickly counter-attacked, leading to a Michail Antonio goal in the 45th minute. 

The second half was more of a deadlock as neither team was able to capitalize on any opportunities. In the 66th minute, Antonio had the Hammers’ best opportunity to equalize as he headed the ball on goal and struck the post. Arsenal got the go-ahead goal in the 85th minute when Saka found midfielder Danny Ceballos, who slipped between the West Ham defense. Ceballos then played the ball across the box to striker Eddie Nketiah, who tapped the ball into the open net to give the Gunners the lead 2-1. Arsenal would then hold on to win the game 2-1. 

Liverpool: 2 Chelsea: 0 

Liverpool faced off against Chelsea in what could’ve been one of the best games of the season. The game didn’t live up to the expectations, as Liverpool won easily and Chelsea’s mistakes cost them the game. Both Liverpool and Chelsea came out with similar squads from their previous matches, so on paper it looked to be a very entertaining game. Chelsea was still missing new signings Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell, as both players were left out of the squad. 

The first half was very much a back-and-forth contest as neither team was able to get a leg up on the other. Liverpool’s first opportunity came in the 19th minute when Roberto Firmino played the ball out wide to Mohammad Salah. The pass drew out Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga from the net, exposing the Chelsea goal. Salah then played a ball across the goal and was cleared by defender Andreas Christensen. Right before half-time, Sadio Mane made a run through the middle of the Chelsea defense. The winger was then tackled by Christensen, and the defender was given a red card. 

Liverpool, up a man, came out and dominated in the second half of play. The scoring started in the 50th minute when Salah and Firmino played a quick one-two and Firmino crossed the ball into the box. The ball was met by Mane as he headed the goal into the back of the net to give the Reds a 1-0 lead. Minutes later, Kepa had the ball at his feet looking for a passing option. The Spaniard then passed the ball right to Mane, and the Senegal International passed the ball into the open goal, giving Liverpool a 2-0 lead. Chelsea then had a chance to get a goal back when striker Timo Werner drew a penalty kick. Chelsea captain Jorginho stepped up to take the penalty. His shot was then saved by Liverpool keeper Allison Becker to keep the Liverpool lead at two. The game ended  2-0 with Liverpool picking up the win.