Premier League Preview: Big teams equals big games

0
10
Manchester United's Paul Pogba, centre, celebrates with teammates their 2-1 lead during the English Premier League soccer match between Newcastle United and Manchester United at St. James' Park in Newcastle, England, Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020. (Alex Pantling/Pool via AP)

Manchester United vs. Chelsea

The Red Devils versus the Blues. A classic match that sees a clash between two of the world’s most profound football clubs. Both teams have had decent starts to the 2020-21 campaign, but both clubs are looking to hit their peak form as we enter the bulk of the season. Both managers are under a lot of pressure, so winning these big-time games can potentially cool their seats down. 

Manchester United are coming off a huge win in the Champions League against Paris Saint-Germain. The Red Devils traveled away to Paris to face off against the French league giants this past Tuesday. Marcus Rashford once again proved to be United’s savior by scoring the winning goal late on in the match. Defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka also received a lot of praise after keeping Kylian Mbappe and Neymar “in his pocket.” United will hope to win against Chelsea as the club and manager Ole Gunnar have been criticized for their transfer window and their brutal loss against Tottenham at Old Trafford.  

Chelsea weren’t as lucky in their mid-week Champions League game as they scrapped out a draw against Spanish team Sevilla. In their last Premier League match, they drew 2-2 against Southampton and currently sit in eighth with eight points. Frank Lampard has also been under fire as Chelsea haven’t been playing their best. They lack a true style of play, and Lampard has yet to find a formation and the players that work best for him. With all their new signings fit and the return of Christian Pulisic, Chelsea look to get the ball rolling before it’s too late.  

Arsenal vs. Leicester

Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang controls the ball during a match on Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020. (Martin Rickett/Pool via AP)

The Gunners face off against the Foxes in a Premier League top-five match up. Both teams currently sit even with nine points on the table with goal difference being the only thing that sets the two apart. Both teams are looking to finish in the top four this season, so key matchups like this will play a big impact down the stretch. 

Arsenal have gotten back to their winning ways after falling short to Manchester City in a close 1-0 match. The Gunners played in their first Europa League match and took on Austrian team Rapid Wien in Austria. Arsenal walked away with a 2-1 win with Captain Pierre-Emmerick Aubameyang sealing the deal for the club in the 74th minute. The club has faced scrutiny after star Mesut Ozil was axed from the Premier League roster as it looks like his time at Arsenal is coming to an end. Ozil hasn’t played for the club in a competitive match since early January. Manager Mikel Arteta and other coaches have come out and said it’s not due to Ozil’s work ethic, so the decision to leave him out of the club has left fans scratching their heads. New signing Thomas Partey has made an impact on the club and will feature against the Foxes. 

Leicester City are coming off a tough loss to Aston Villa in their last Premier League matchup. The Foxes have had an up-and-down season with some key wins and tough losses. The Foxes handled Manchester City easily after a 5-2 dominating performance a couple of weekends ago. They then responded with a frustrating loss to Villa. It’s not easy to hone in on the Foxes and their performances every week in and week out. One thing is for sure: they will rely on leading goal scorer Jamie Vardy to get on the board as they look to take a crucial three points from Arsenal.  

The last time these teams met, the Gunners walked away with a 2-0 win in the English Football League Cup. Arsenal hopes the game is a repeat of the last time, while Leicester hopes to walk away with a crucial away win.