Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeSportsUConn women’s soccer preview: Huskies look to make it two in a...

UConn women’s soccer preview: Huskies look to make it two in a row against Brown

The UConn women’s soccer team is set to host Brown University at the Joseph J. Morrone Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. The Huskies (3-1-0) defeated the University at Albany 2-0 in their most recent match, while the Bears (3-1-0) are coming off a 2-1 victory over Oklahoma State, which extended their winning streak to three games. 

This is the first time that both programs face each other since the 2019 season, which saw the Bears slay the Huskies 2-0. Nevertheless, the Huskies dominate the overall series record since they’ve defeated Brown on 21 separate occasions and have only fallen six times to the Bears. 

Sophomore forward Jada Konte currently leads the UConn squad in goals scored with two. Right behind Konte is senior forward Duda Santin, who’s bagged one goal and one assist in four matches. Sophomore forward Jaydah Bedoya, freshman midfielder Abbey Jones and senior forward Isabelle Lynch are all tied third in goals scored with one each. 

The UConn women’s soccer team. Photo by Julie Spillane/The Daily Campus

The Bears also have a multitude of players who can find the back of the net or create goal scoring opportunities. Junior forward Brittany Raphino has two goals and four assists in the four matches she’s played in, while fellow forward junior Ava Seelenfreund has scored two goals and bagged four assists in the four matches she’s participated in as well. 

Brown midfielder Kayla Duran has created a multitude of chances for the Bears this season and will be a player to watch out for. She’s gotten an assist in three of the four matches she has played in this season, which demonstrates her ability to find her teammates in goal scoring positions. 

In terms of goals conceded as a team, UConn and Brown have nearly identical numbers. The Huskies have conceded seven times this season, while the Bears have conceded six times this season. Moreover, UConn has been able to secure two clean sheets in comparison to Brown’s one. 

Ultimately, UConn head coach Margaret Rodriguez will hope for more of the same on Thursday as the Huskies look to contain a fiery Brown side looking to make a statement. 

Sebastian Garay-Ortega
Sebastian Garay-Ortega is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sebastian.garay-ortega@uconn.edu.