Saturday, May 18, 2024
HomeEditorialEditorial: Join The Daily Campus! 

Editorial: Join The Daily Campus! 

The Daily Campus Editorial Board wishes to further emphasize to the undergraduate student population at UConn: You should join The Daily Campus! Illustration by Haleigh Schmidt/The Daily Campus.

The University of Connecticut hosted its annual Spring Involvement Fair on Wednesday, Feb. 7 from 1 to 6 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion. Along with the hundreds of student organizations in attendance, The Daily Campus stood and tabled as well, soliciting involvement from the undergraduate population.

The Daily Campus Editorial Board wishes to further emphasize to the undergraduate student population at UConn: You should join The Daily Campus!  

As UConn’s only independent, student-run newspaper, The Daily Campus offers a multitude of opportunities for students to engage with the free press and stay informed about what is happening in the Basketball Capital of the World. Furthermore, students of any major can join our paper, and all of our opportunities and positions are no-experience-required.  

For the writers out there: The Daily Campus has four main written sections: news, life, sports and opinion.  

The news section covers relevant and breaking news regarding the UConn community. Recently, we’ve covered the budget cuts many UConn departments are facing that have the potential to impact every student on all of UConn’s campuses, President Radenka Maric’s new office hours and even a GoFundMe for a beloved Huskies Tavern employee’s cancer treatment.  

In the life section, we have writers cover campus events, run weekly lifestyle columns and also write reviews of albums, movies and TV shows. For example, we recently featured Lizzie’s Curbside’s 33rd anniversary on the UConn Storrs campus. 

Having spoken previously of the Basketball Capital of the World, it’s also important to note that The Daily Campus’s sports section provides extensive coverage and analysis of every UConn athletic team, along with numerous columns covering professional sports.  

And of course, where the Editorial Board hails from: The opinion section focuses on argumentative writing, where students can write about any issue or topic they are passionate about.  

For our multimedia creatives interested in campus coverage: We have photo and artist departments that specialize in creating media and images to accompany stories both in print and online. We give our artists the creative freedom to design and produce art including illustrations for articles, column logos and comics, and our photographers have the opportunity to photograph significant events, people, and places on campus.  

For students looking for an on-campus job opportunity: You can also join our production team, which is responsible for preparing the paper for print and digital publication Monday through Friday each week. Our copy editors review all articles for grammar and AP Style, and our designers design the layout for print editions. Our digital producers upload content to our website and our photo producers select which graphics will accompany our work online and in print. Additionally, our social media team is responsible for promoting our content through our various social media platforms. Moreover, in every content section at The Daily Campus, there are opportunities where you can get paid for the work that you do, and students who are early risers could also work as delivery drivers on weekday mornings.  

Furthermore, beyond being a professional development opportunity for students interested in working in media, there is significant value in having a free press, particularly on a college campus. In fact, The Daily Campus’ status as an editorially-independent news outlet is what allows us, as the Editorial Board, to be so critical of UConn, as we’ve highlighted previously. Having a newspaper that is run by students, for students, is what allows us to criticize the institution we all are a part of, and demand more for everyone.  

We know there is a want and a need for The Daily Campus at UConn — the way our April 4, 2023 edition flew off our newspaper racks after the UConn men’s basketball team won the national championship shows this tenfold. So, come be a part of that! At the risk of sounding like your cringey boss from your high school retail job, The Daily Campus is a family. Join us!  

The Editorial Board
The Editorial Board is a group of opinion staff writers at The Daily Campus.