Saturday, May 18, 2024
HomeEditorialA Year Later: Who will #SaveUConn from itself? 

A Year Later: Who will #SaveUConn from itself? 

UConn’s Storrs campus from a birds eye perspective. Opportunities for students to engage with the University of Connecticut’s budget at the state level were recently open to students. Photo by Jordan Arnold/The Daily Campus.

Opportunities for students to engage with the University of Connecticut’s budget at the state level were recently open to students. Jon Heiden, Undergraduate Student Government President, announced a Public Hearing on Appropriations for Higher Education that students had the opportunity to attend in an email to the undergraduate population on Feb. 16. 

Additionally, university President Radenka Maric announced the first of four town halls this semester to discuss the budgets for UConn and UConn Health and what actions the University has taken — and plans to take — to address potential projected shortfalls, in a university-wide email on Feb. 19. 

The Daily Campus Editorial Board has previously advocated for students to voice their feelings about the university, positive or negative. We again encourage students to take part in these town halls. It is important for the university to hear the voices of the students and faculty who will be directly affected by the resulting state budget.  

But both of these invitations to engage with the state budget left out one crucial component: UConn’s own culpability in their budgetary crisis. Similarly to last year around this time, #SaveUConn posters dominated campus in response to Maric’s announcement of a near $160 million budget cut.  

It is undeniable that the state of Connecticut has shifted away from funding public education. The Editorial Board has covered the conservative nature of Gov. Ned Lamont’s fiscal policy and how it has impacted the overall funding of universities statewide in Connecticut. For the past two decades, public funding has decreased for colleges and universities.  

This year in Lamont’s proposed budget, the state’s base funding to higher education institutions has gone up, but their overall budgets will go down when the loss of pandemic-era funding is taken into account. This is disheartening to hear, as the pandemic influx of money greatly benefitted universities nationwide. According to a study, 94% of community colleges and 90% of institutions overall credited the emergency funds with helping to keep students at risk of dropping out enrolled. The money also helped institutions absorb the shock of enrollment declines, lost revenue and other financial stressors during the pandemic.  

So the question has to be raised, how did UConn spend that money? Rather than invest it into greater resources for students, professors and university officials they went on a mad spending spree building new dorms, athletic facilities and other cosmetic upgrades to the Storrs campus. 

Not only was the Board of Trustees well aware of the political climate surrounding higher education and the general trend towards shifting funding away; they were well aware of the expiring nature of the COVID-19 funds. But the university continues to deny their own role in this problem. Last year when UConn and USG had students bussed to the capitol there was plenty of criticism for Lamont and his policies, but there was very little acknowledgement of the mistakes made by the university that got us here.  

The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging that a problem exists. To avoid budgetary crises like this in the future, both the state of Connecticut and UConn must do better for their citizens and students.  

The Editorial Board
The Editorial Board is a group of opinion staff writers at The Daily Campus.

2 COMMENTS

1. The trouble is CT always tries to have it both ways.

For example

1) CT brags about being the backyard of Mass and NY and that it was positioned well post covid to be the place to go to telecommutte. There are policies in place to try to encourage people to fight NY as they live in CT and work online in NY.

2) Yet at the same point they want to get people back to the office in the state in places like Hartford and New Haven…

So which is it?

With UConn and many other academic institutions they squandered the money as you correctly reported in using it as regular spending rather than making it work.

CT is more about image. All sizzle and no steak. If you take UConn out of CT what exactly unites people in CT? Nothing really it’s just a bunch of towns. What unites UConn? Mindless college sports. Look I get it it’s fun to watch and there’s no major teams here, it’s the minor league capital of the country. But at the same point what does this get us? Jobs selling hot dogs and cleaning floors. They should spin off the NCAA as it’s own league (PAC 10 or what ever). No one really cares about college sports after the fact. Even Doug Flutie is sick of hearing of 1983 you move on.

Why not just get back to academics? Why waste money on games? Why is college in the sports business anyway? What’s the point exactly? Meanwhile the rest of the town and much of the region lacks public water and public sewer. Why not compensation people in the town with free electric bills? CT has some of the highest in the country.

2. while it is very nice to badmouth college sports, please remember that for some of us, that is all we think of that makes a strong connection to UConn…I know of one graduate who went to UConn many years ago and died just last year. On the stone marking his burial, it gave his name–here I will not give the name–and said: “HE NEVER MISSED A BASKETBALL GAME PLAYED BY UCONN GIRLS.” How many book worms will be able to say that?