Saturday, April 27, 2024
HomeSportsTrack and Field: Huskies split up for two-meet weekend to kick off...

Track and Field: Huskies split up for two-meet weekend to kick off the 2024 outdoor season 

The Connecticut track and field teams are coming off an incredible indoor season, in which both the men’s and women’s teams took first place in the indoor Big East Championships for the third straight year. 

To kick off the outdoor season, the Huskies are splitting up, as one group heads to Raleigh, N.C. to compete in the Raleigh Relays at Paul Derr Track, hosted by North Carolina State. The other meet will take place in Storrs for the UConn Dog Fight Invitational. 

The Raleigh Relays is a three-day event, starting Thursday and concluding on Saturday. The first couple hours of each day will consist of field events, followed by track events that will run for the rest of the day. On Thursday and Friday, the first events begin at 7:30 a.m. and the day concludes at 10:35 p.m. On the final day of the meet, the first event kicks off at 9:45 a.m. and the final event takes place at 5:35 p.m. The meet will host many schools from across the country, including Virginia, Duke, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio, Georgia and many more. 

The UConn Dog Fight Invitational is a one-day event, taking place on Saturday, at George J. Sherman Sports Complex. The meet will start at 11 a.m. with field events, followed by track events at noon. At last year’s Dog Fight Invitational, the Huskies came up just short, as the men’s and women’s teams both placed second behind Cornell. Some of the schools present at the event this year will be Northeastern, Yale, Albany, Boston College, Dartmouth and Southern Connecticut State. With the absence of last year’s winners, the Huskies are looking to take first place on their home turf. 

As dual Big East Indoor Champions, the Huskies are looking to carry their momentum into the outdoor season. Last year they got off to a good start with an impressive showing at the UCF Black and Gold Invitational, and this year they are looking to impress again in both the Raleigh Relays and the UConn Dog Fight Invitational.