Saturday, May 18, 2024
HomeNewsFive arrested as thousands of UConn students celebrate NCAA victory  

Five arrested as thousands of UConn students celebrate NCAA victory  

Crowds of students overtake the Storrs campus after the men’s basketball team won the NCAA Tournament for the second year in a row. Several students were arrested throughout the night. Photo by Photo Editor Skyler Kim/The Daily Campus

Five people were arrested as the University of Connecticut Storrs campus celebrated the men’s basketball NCAA championship title for the second year in a row. 

Police were stationed through Fairfield Way Monday night as thousands of students ran out of Gampel to celebrate following the Huskies win against Purdue 75-60. While most celebrated safely, there were some incidents of vandalism, including a street sign being shoved through a Rec Center window.  

“Thousands of UConn students and others on the Storrs campus celebrated an amazing Husky victory this evening and the vast majority did so respectfully, responsibly, and safely. There were some incidents of vandalism following the victory, but they were limited in number,” university officials said in a statement. 

Some students could be seen climbing up lamp-posts and trees and tearing up street signs. The Rec Center had a delayed opening Tuesday morning, to repair the broken window.  

UConn Police made five arrests as of 9 a.m. Tuesday, according to university officials. The UConn Police was joined by the Connecticut State Police to ensure everyone was safe and prevent vandalism.  

This year, the university took additional precautions to prevent the severe damage and rioting on campus following the victory last year. The university restricted the number of individuals to attend the watch party in Gampel Pavilion. Gampel did not sell alcohol and only UConn students were allowed in. Students were required to show their UConn ID upon entrance.   

Last year, the campus faced nearly $123,000 in damages as fans set fires, flipped vehicles, knocked down lamp posts and smashed through windows. Celebrations left 15 arrested and 16 hospitalized. 

To prepare for the games and prevent damage, the university temporarily removed lampposts on Hillside Road, replacing them with wall lights along the School of Business, after many were removed and misused last year.  

“On the whole, it was a very good night on the Storrs campus and the university looks forward to continuing to celebrate our phenomenal student-athletes, their coaches, and this incredible win,” university officials said in a statement.  

Update: Since the publication of this article, the university has updated the total number of individuals arrested to five.