Tuesday, April 30, 2024
HomeSportsThe Coleumn: Which NFL team should take Christian Haynes? 

The Coleumn: Which NFL team should take Christian Haynes? 

43 players from the UConn football team have heard their name called in the National Football League Draft’s 88-year history. Third Team All-American offensive guard Christian Haynes could become UConn’s 44th next week in Detroit. 

When he gets selected, Haynes will be the Huskies’ first draft pick since the Baltimore Ravens took defensive tackle Travis Jones in the third round two years ago. The Maryland native earned a Pro Football Focus grade higher than 60 in all but one of Connecticut’s 12 games this season and surrendered just one sack. PFF praises Hayne’s explosiveness and his lengthy arms for his position. The only weakness in his game is when he is a part of any man-blocking scheme. 

All 3,318 of his career snaps in Storrs came at right guard, but the College Football Network All-American showed flexibility at both offensive guard positions at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Haynes significantly increased his draft stock during his workouts in Mobile, Alabama, this past winter. Film analyst James Foster posted a 74-second video on X of his one-on-one from his practices. Almost no defender got past the Maryland native in that clip. 

Reporters and scouts in attendance really liked Haynes’ reps in pass protection situations and his positioning. Defensive linemen and linebackers on the National Team voted the Maryland native as the top offensive lineman on the American Team after the Senior Bowl game. ESPN NFL Analyst Jordan Reid labeled him as one of his “top 5 risers” on his draft board. 

Beyond the tangibles, Haynes demonstrated his maturity in a moment that went viral on social media. After being stuffed during a one-on-one session, LSU defensive tackle Jordan Jefferson furiously ripped the veteran guard’s helmet off his head and threw it to the side. 

Rather than punch back, Haynes walked away and picked up his helmet before joining the rest of the offensive linemen in his practice group. His only response was an alleged six-word statement. That sequence might not seem like much, but being composed in that moment demonstrated to scouts just how mature he could be. 

PFF ranks the Third Team All-American 64th on their Big Board. As PFF’s top-ranked guard, there is a chance Haynes could be selected before the end of the second round on April 26. Several teams need interior offensive line help, but which ones could potentially select him to address that issue? 

Baltimore Ravens 

Imagine a Huskies reunion between Jones and Haynes with last season’s American Football Conference’s No. 1 seed. That could happen soon, as the Ravens need a new offensive line beyond left tackle Ronnie Stanley. Although not the reason they lost the AFC Championship Game, Baltimore will need as many healthy linemen as possible for their lethal run game. Without it, how are two-time NFL MVP Lamar Jackson and 2020 Offensive Player of the Year Derrick Henry going to have space to run? Selecting Haynes answers that question. 

Houston Texans 

Acquiring wide receiver Stefon Diggs from the Buffalo Bills makes the Texans the team to beat in the competitive AFC South Division. One of the key things they need now is more protection for their franchise quarterback, C.J. Stroud. The reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year was sacked 38 times, the eighth-most in the NFL, last season behind an injury-prone offensive line. Haynes seldom allows sacks, and his athleticism off the snap can create enough of an opening for the 2023 second overall pick to find his many open receivers. 

Green Bay Packers 

One of Green Bay’s needs after releasing 11-year veteran tackle David Bakhtiari last month is restocking their offensive line. That is something that the Packers can address across the first two days of the draft with the five Top 100 picks they possess. While they are the youngest team in the NFL, selecting a guy like the Maryland native will do wonders for the team’s maturity and long-term development. With star running back Josh Jacobs signing in free agency, Haynes is an ideal fit in Wisconsin for the right reasons. 

Miami Dolphins 

The Dolphins need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Defensively, they need a quality replacement for Suffield Academy alum Christian Wilkins. Offensively, Miami needs a guard who can bring long-term stability to the line and protect their potent passing game; UConn’s offensive captain checks off both boxes. While getting an offensive tackle is just as critical, adding Haynes gives the Dolphins’ offensive line someone versatile who can play every snap of the season. His presence will additionally allow Miami’s aerial attack to click into another gear. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

The Huskies gained 1,639 yards on the ground in 2023. The Buccaneers’ run game collected 1,509 yards and finished last in the NFL for the second straight season. While Connecticut’s Third Team All-American spent his career at right guard, his durability at the position should allow him to plug the team’s left guard hole. Rachaad White and Tampa Bay’s run game benefit from having Haynes, but so does former first overall pick Baker Mayfield. The veteran experience the guard brings from his college snaps should translate nicely into Mayfield’s offense. 

Minnesota Vikings 

A new era has arrived in Minneapolis as quarterback Kirk Cousins is no longer the quarterback for Minnesota. Regardless of who succeeds Cousins, the Vikings need a sturdy offensive line to protect their next signal-caller. Taking the Maryland native will not only help Minnesota’s pass-heavy offense, but also allow NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player Tristen Newton’s cousin, running back Aaron Jones, to break off big runs. If the Vikings want to draft him, however, they will need to make a trade, as they do not own a second-round pick. 

The qualities Haynes demonstrated during his time at Storrs and in pre-draft workouts are some of the traits head coaches look for when drafting franchise offensive linemen. Whichever team takes him next week will be getting an All-American guard who will have a successful NFL career. 

Cole Stefan
Cole Stefan is a senior columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at cole.stefan@uconn.edu