Monday, May 6, 2024
HomeOpinionSay ‘thank you’ to your professors 

Say ‘thank you’ to your professors 

Most professors pour countless hours into curating an educational, engaging fair curriculum. While it is easy for students to blame a bad grade or an unfortunate drop in GPA on their professors, we rarely focus on all the things that the professors are doing right. Illustration by Haleigh Schmidt/The Daily Campus.

For my last article of the year, I feel very sentimental about my first year at UConn. While I have my qualms with this home away from home, my experiences on this campus have been overwhelmingly positive. Through my extracurricular activities I have made friends who share my interests and support me in all aspects of my life: from silly challenges to internship interviews. At the Daily Campus, I have found a group of powerful students with a passion for making the campus a better place. My admiration for everyone at the DC puts me at a loss for words — ironic for an Opinion writer.  

Reflecting on my time thus far, I can pinpoint many individuals who have made an impact on me. The most influential of all, though, are my professors. While it is easy for students to blame a bad grade or an unfortunate drop in GPA on their professors, we rarely focus on all the things that the professors are doing right. On the SET Surveys this year, I found myself reminiscing on the fun conversations and amazing experiences I have had with my professors. I realized while filling out the questions, that maybe I don’t tell them enough how amazing they are.  

So that is what this article is going to be, a “thank you” to all the instructors who truly made this the best academic (and social) year I have had.  

To Steve Wilson, who taught both my (unofficial) Investment Building Blocks class and later my Applied Investment Analysis class, thank you. Your passion and dedication to the course material and our success as students and citizens is unparalleled. I admit, as our stock pitches arrive, the workload can become overwhelming. While it is a lot, it is easy to do when the instructor is incredibly involved, and the course is engaging. Your support and encouragement have truly been life changing. You certainly do not get the thanks and recognition you deserve.  

To Serafima Antonenko, my German instructor, having you this semester has been a blessing. Even in another language, the grace that you bring to difficult social conversations is so refreshing. You encourage students to navigate controversy through respectful exchanges and you draw attention to problems on campus and worldwide. Additionally, you facilitate cultural exchange in German, English, and Russian. Our class is truly immersive and something I look forward to every week.  

That is enough with the sappy stuff, let us go back to the opinion part.  

As we are all aware, those that work in the educational system do not make nearly enough for the work that they do. At UConn, amidst budget cuts, our faculty are being tasked with a workload larger than ever before. While we can advocate for the fair treatment of our academic faculty, making social change is hard. I am sure that if you read The Daily Campus, you will see plenty of examples that emphasize that struggle.  

Alone, faculty and students will struggle to make change. Rather than operating as individual groups, we can show appreciation and empathy to our instructors for their dedication. This will build understanding between the faculty and the students and unite the two groups under a common goal. In solidarity with each other, we can advocate to make UConn a better place for students and instructors alike.  

To the students reading this, it might be time to stop complaining about what you got on that last exam. Rather, it is the perfect time to reflect on all of the effort and time that your professors have put into your learning and show them empathy. They have a lot of work too. They have truly dedicated their lives and careers to building young minds and encouraging students to be better citizens. For that, each professor deserves eternal gratitude.