HomeNewsStudents will have blue gowns at commencement this year

Students will have blue gowns at commencement this year

Graduation tassels at the UConn Bookstore before last May’s graduation ceremonies. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

“The University decided on a different color, it’s going to be blue, the school color, as opposed to the black that we’ve had in the past,” Leonard Oser, the manager of the UConn Bookstore, said.

Oser said that the decision was made on the grounds of the aesthetic appeal of the blue gowns.

“It’s a little richer-looking fabric, it’s a little softer and it’s nice quality,” Oser said, “It’s about the same cost so they decided to go with the blue.”

Oser said that the fabric is made of recycled plastic water bottles, something that has been true of the black gowns in the past.

“The new caps and gowns are made of recycled bottles so for environmentally-conscious folks like us, that’s a good thing,” Oser said.

Oser said that students and their parents will be receiving an email in the coming weeks about how they can order and pick up their caps and gowns.

“We’ll be getting the caps and gowns in another two weeks or so,” Oser said.

Caps and gowns will be available beginning March 20 and the Bookstore will host a Grad Fair on March 22 and 23.

“We encourage seniors to come by and pick up their caps and gowns because it’s getting close to May,” Oser said.

Oser said that students can order their cap and gown online and pick them up in store with their receipt, or buy them in the Bookstore.

Oser said that students must know their height and what degree they will be receiving in order to get the correct length of gown and color tassel.

Oser said that students can also order and pick up their tickets for the commencement ceremony in the Bookstore.

“[The number of tickets a student can order] is dictated by individual schools on campus,” Oser said, “Each degree has a different number depending on the size of commencement and where commencement is being held.”

Oser said that getting caps and gowns to students is usually a smooth operation.

“We don’t really run into a lot of problems,” Oser said.

Oser said that most students get their cap and gown well ahead of commencement day.

“It’s usually the parents who are focused and making sure they get their regalia ahead of time,” Oser said.

Oser said that the Bookstore will carry commencement regalia up to graduation day.

“We have caps and gowns right up until graduation day, there’s nothing preventing the student from getting the right regalia,” Oser said, “It’s an important day in the student’s life.”  

Oser said that the Bookstore works to ensure that students have the appropriate attire for the ceremony that marks their farewell to UConn.

“It’s important to look good for their final ceremony at the school before going out into the real world and onto big things,” Oser said, “It’s a big day and we want them to be well-prepared for it.”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.