HomeNewsUConn student spends $1000 on Krispy Kreme donuts in costly mistake

UConn student spends $1000 on Krispy Kreme donuts in costly mistake

(Via Greta Johnson/Facebook)

University of Connecticut sophomore Haseeb Khan is $1000 poorer after buying 3000 Krispy Kreme donuts in a clerical error.

Haseeb Khan, fourth-semester computer science and engineering major, wanted to host a Krispy Kreme Fundraiser the Muslim Student Association, which he is a part of.

“We were advised to get 250 boxes because another club did a similar fundraiser and sold 150 boxes really really quickly,” Khan said.

The organization realized they didn’t have any money to pay for the donuts, so they wanted to order 50 boxes instead, Khan said. He had put his personal card down for the order, and a member had forgotten to change the order amount.

Khan and a friend went to the Mohegan Sun Krispy Kreme Store to get the donuts knowing that they had to bring 250 boxes of donuts back to UConn, Khan said.

“They barely all fit (in the car),” he said.

Khan and his friends attempted to sell all the doughnuts to get himself out of debt, he said.  He is currently charging $1 per donut, or $10 for a box of dozen.

“We’re doing pretty well,” Khan said when asked about how donut sales were going. He mentioned that there was also a delivery driver bringing donuts to students on campus. While he did not state the exact number of donuts he sold at the time of writing, he said it was “a lot.”

Greta Johnson, fourth-semester physiology and neurobiology major, thought it was “the funniest thing in the world” when Khan had told her what happened.

Johnson had posted about Khan’s situation on the Facebook group UConn Buy or Sell, which garnered over 400 Likes and reactions at the time of writing.

Khan said he thinks he will sell all the donuts.

“I don’t have any money right now, I don’t even have any school supplies,” Khan said.  

Kimberly Nguyen is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.nguyen@uconn.edu.