Women’s Hockey: Huskies tie Terriers at home


Forward Catherine Crawley moves the puck against the Terriers (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s ice hockey team returned to Mark Freitas Ice Forum to take on Hockey East Foe, Boston University in their pink jersey – an initiative from the Hockey East in the fight against breast cancer.

The effort of the team would fall short as they tied 2-2 in overtime against the Boston Terriers.

“Hard-fought battle, the team really competed,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said after the game. “I’m really proud of the team.”

The Huskies started the first period aggressively, forcing BU’s goalie to several saves, but the fuel ran out and the Terriers took control of the puck and the game.

Belanger had eight saves in the first period and the Terriers’ offense was everywhere. In a breakaway, Boston’s offense hit the post in the most dangerous change against the Huskies.

Towards the end of the first period, the Huskies were able to get away from the pressure posed by BU and had two power plays. At the end of one, junior Rebecca Lindblad scored to put the Huskies ahead. This was Lindblad’s third goal this season.

The Huskies started the second period with poise and were able to dominate for 7 minutes and get the shots they wanted.

Mackenzie believed the Huskies executed what they prepared for most of the game.

“We formed a checking line to try to mark and defend their top scoring line and we were able to do that. We kept them off the score sheet, so we were happy about that.”

Their defensive plan was followed by an early goal in the second period. Junior Jaime

Fox skated through the middle of the ice and perfectly set up senior Leah Lum, who just had to strike the puck to beat the goalie and put UConn up 2-0.

UConn were skating and keeping the Terriers away from their dangerous zone, however the threat was always present.

Boston University’s Nina Rodger hit the post once again and another chance was missed for Boston.

The pressure by the Terriers continued and another dangerous chance came when Boston and UConn got in a scramble in front of Belanger. The huskies, however, escaped.

We formed a checking line to try to mark and defend their top scoring line and we were able to do that. We kept them off the score sheet, so we were happy about that
— Head Coach Chris McKenzie

Trystin Svetek and Carley Olivier were sent to the box in the second period and with the momentum going their way, BU’s Jesse Compher put one past Belanger to cut into the Huskies lead.

The confidence of their first goal and the clear chances created allowed the Terriers to be dangerous in the third period.

Five minutes into the last period and Sziray de Sousa scored off a rebound to tie the game for Boston University.

The Huskies game came in flashes, and added another two penalties that increased BU’s ability to attack and keep the huskies in their defensive third.

“We uncharacteristically took too many penalties, said Mckenzie. “They (BU) got more shots, they took our momentum away, we took back to back penalties. So for a good four minutes we were on our heels.”

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.

Leave a Reply