PG James Akinjo granted release from NLI

0
1

Akinjo’s departure is the first of what could be many this offseason. (Screenshot)

Four-star recruit James Akinjo has been granted a full release from the University of Connecticut and will reopen his recruitment.

Akinjo was a top-100 recruit, according to ESPN, and top-25 at his position, according to Rivals.com.

Akinjo committed to UConn last fall after being heavily pursued by Kevin Ollie. When Ollie was fired on March 10, Akinjo’s guardian, Rachel Jackson, tweeted that Akinjo would be requesting release from his National Letter of Intent.

On Monday, Jackson tweeted the following:

Akinjo’s departure is the first of what could be many this offseason. The other incoming recruits, 3-star Emmitt Matthews Jr. from Tacoma, Washington and center Lukas Kisunas of Lithuania, are waiting to see whom UConn hires as their next head coach. Multiple reports indicate the school is close to signing URI’s Dan Hurley.

No current UConn players have expressed desire to transfer, which is subject to change when the new head coach is hired. As of right now, there is one scholarship open for next season.

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.