Reports: UConn inching closer toward URI’s Hurley as next men’s basketball head coach

0
10

Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley disagrees with a foul called during the first half of an NCAA men's college basketball tournament second-round game. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley disagrees with a foul called during the first half of an NCAA men’s college basketball tournament second-round game. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

The University of Connecticut is closing in on hiring Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley to be Kevin Ollie’s successor, Hearst Media’s Jeff Jacobs and David Borges reported Monday.

Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog reported that UConn officials met with Hurley on Monday. The university is currently working through severing ties with Ollie for “just cause.”

UConn is rumored to have beaten out Pittsburgh, another potential suitor, to land Hurley. According to Zagoria, the 46-year old “is intrigued by the UConn ‘brand.’”

ESPN’s John Goodman reports that Hurley is still ‘researching’ a move, and has a meeting scheduled Tuesday with Rhode Island athletic director Thorr Bjorn.

Goodman also reports that Hurley is Pittsburgh’s top target, but the coach prefers UConn because of the Huskies’ history — he played college ball as a point guard at Seton Hall under longtime Jim Calhoun assistant George Blaney and former UConn assistant coach Tom Moore was on Hurley’s staff this season at URI.

“He’s not close to a decision yet,” one source close to Hurley told ESPN. “He’s still researching it all.”

Hurley’s team was eliminated from the NCAA tournament by Duke in the third round this weekend, completing a 26-8 season in which they finished atop the Atlantic 10 standings. The Rams picked up wins against fellow tournament teams Buffalo, Seton Hall, Providence and St. Bonaventure.

Hurley spent six years coaching at Rhode Island, finishing with an 112-82 record and two tournament trips. He also spent two years at Wagner after 10 years at St. Benedict’s Prep in New Jersey.

Tyler Keating is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu. He tweets @tylerskeating.