Trump tweets ‘No more DACA deal’

0
2
exc-5ac2beb72b6a284b3fcafdea

President Donald Trump, center, gives a thumbs-up from the tarmac upon his arrival with first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Sunday, April 1, 2018. Trump returned to Washington after spending Easter weekend at his Mar-a-Lago estate. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

President Donald Trump tweeted a call to end negotiations surrounding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program this weekend.

“Border Patrol Agents are not allowed to properly do their job at the Border because of ridiculous liberal (Democrat) laws like Catch & Release. Getting more dangerous. “Caravans” coming. Republicans must go to Nuclear Option to pass tough laws NOW. NO MORE DACA DEAL!,” he tweeted Sunday morning. 

Connecticut Students for a Dream released a statement Monday responding to Trump.

“If Trump is looking for somebody to blame for why ‘DACA is dead,’ he only has to look at himself,” Connecticut Students for a Dream Executive Director Lucas Codognolla said.

Codognolla said Trump’s immigration policy priorities do not lie with DACA nor the millions of Dreamers the program protects.  

“It’s clear Trump has never been interested in a DACA deal – he is only interested in using the lives and bodies of our immigrant youth as a bargaining chip for money for his border wall and his deportation machine,” Codgnolla said.

Trump claimed in a tweet Monday morning that the Democrats do not want borders and that this will lead to “drugs and crime.” He also reiterated his desire for legislators to fund a wall across the U.S.-Mexican border.

“Trump’s tweets and recent actions, such as the citizenship question on the census, are seeking to create a narrative where our immigrant communities are a dangerous other,” Camila Bortolleto, Connecticut Students for a Dream campaign manager, said.

Bortolleto called for Connecticut legislators to pass laws that will protect immigrants in our state. One of the bills Connecticut Students for a Dream has been supporting at the capital is the “Afford to Dream Act,” which would give undocumented students equal access to institutional financial aid.

“We call upon our (Connecticut) legislators to pass policies on the state level that support immigrant youth because in this climate inaction is complicity with the attacks on our immigrant community,” Bortolleto said. “If D.C. won’t act, then our (Connecticut) legislators must.”

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.