Spring Weekend to have road closures, checkpoints, residential restrictions

0
0
exc-5ad92fc06d2a73458d9fa468

Several roads will also be closed for events throughout the weekend. Hillside Road will be closed on Saturday evening for the Food Truck Festival, Fournier said. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut students should be aware of Spring Weekend policies and restrictions, said UConn officials, including road closures, DUI checkpoints, residential rules and event admittance.

All students will be required to wear a wristband in order to attend events, according to the Spring Weekend website. Wristbands can be picked up from tables at the Student Union, the Student Union Info Desk, Late Night, Northwest, Putnam, Towers and South residence halls or at various Spring Weekend events throughout the weekend. Student will be required to swipe their ID in order to pick up a wristband.

The UConn Police Department (UCPD) will be holding checkpoints and will close several roads for events and for safety, Deputy Chief of Police Andrew Fournier said.

“In regards to policies, UConn police officers enforce State of Connecticut criminal and motor vehicle statutes and refer student code violations to the Office of Community Standards when appropriate,” Fournier said. “We work in conjunction with departments such as Residential Life and Parking Services to ensure a safe weekend for all students.”

UCPD will be holding DUI checkpoints from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday night on North Eagleville Road and Discovery Drive.

“These safety checks will be in place to detect intoxicated drivers, identify seatbelt violations and other related motor vehicle violations,” Fournier said.

Several roads will also be closed for events throughout the weekend. Hillside Road will be closed on Saturday evening for the Food Truck Festival, Fournier said.

Permit parking rules will be enforced on a 24-hour basis in lots C, F, Upper X and W from 7 a.m. on Thursday to 7 a.m. on Monday, according to the Spring Weekend website. Only those with the appropriate permits will be allowed to park in those lots during that time.

For students living on campus, only UConn students will be permitted to be swiped into the dining halls and residential halls. Residents should fill out a guest pass for any visitors and remain with them at all times, according to an email sent out to residents last week by ResLife.

Spring Weekend policies were first enacted in 2011 in response to a student death in 2010 after being attacked by a non-student. In 2011, the campus went into complete lockdown. In the following years, new events and activities were gradually added onto the schedule and restrictions were incrementally lifted.

Though April is still one of the peak months for DUI arrests, the number has decreased since 2014 partly due to awareness and availability of ridesharing services, Fournier said earlier this week.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.