Tennis: UConn bounced in the first round

0
6

Huskies and Pirates shake hands after a doubles match (UConn Atheltics) 

The UConn men’s tennis team suffered a 4-0 sweep at the hands of ECU in the first round of the American Conference Championship tournament in Dallas, Texas. The loss marks the end of the season for the Huskies, who finished with a 4-16 record.

In doubles play, junior Justin Warren and freshman John Holtman fell 6-4 at No. 1, while senior Jonathan Edwards and freshman Yili Zheng lost 6-4 at No. 2, allowing the Pirates to clinch the opening point. Juniors Jack McLister and Hank Hill were in a 5-5 match at No. 3 when ECU claimed the doubles point.

In singles play, Holtmann lost 6-2, 6-0 at No. 5, Hill fell 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 and Zheng was defeated 6-0, 6-3 at No. 1, giving the Pirates the decisive fourth point to advance. Warren held a 6-4, 4-1 lead at No. 3 when the match was halted, while McLister trailed 6-7, 3-1 at No. 4 and Edwards was behind 1-6, 3-5 at No. 6.

After their win over No. 10 seed UConn, ECU (No. 7 seed) suffered a 4-1 defeat against second-seeded Tulane on Friday.

The Huskies finished the season on a seven match losing streak. Since January, the team posted just two wins, Quinnipiac and Siena. The lineup will likely look very similar next year; the Huskies will lose only No. 5 singles player Jonathan Edwards, who will graduate in May.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.